empty nest now...when did you sell/downsize your home?

by oompa 7 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

was prob going to stay here a bit longer as i love this place.....but way more than i need, and the payment bites.........with sucky economy it prob makes more sense to sell.........or else i need to have a few more kids!!! (or at least put forth the effort for more!)................oompa

plus....i will not be jobless i hope...but income about to hit the shitters..........

• hubert
    hubert

I think I'd just stay put for now, until the economy starts to show a real upturn. The reason I say this is because suppose you DO lose your job? You may have to move to another city to get a good job. THAT would be the time to sell your house and find another one.

For right now, don't make waves. (My opinion).

editted to add....Can you rent a room out? It will give you extra money to help with the mortgage.

Hubert

• oompa
    oompa
    hubert: editted to add....Can you rent a room out? It will give you extra money to help with the mortgage.

hmmmm.........nice hubert........if i can rent one to a concubine kinda thingy........this may work.....plus.....she may pay me!........oompa

• StAnn
    StAnn

You know, that's not a bad idea of Hubert's. I know of two people who rent rooms in their home to college students (grad students, only.) You're near several colleges, aren't you? Not only would you get help with rent, you'd also get help with chores AND you and your wife will be exposed to young people who are THINKING, as opposed to mindless Dubs. That might do your wife a great deal of good. The conversation alone might make it worthwhile.

Just a thought.

StAnn

• hubert
    hubert

You may end up paying her, OOMPA.

Never mind....it won't work. I heard how horny you are after a few beers.

Hubert

• StAnn
    StAnn

BTW, Oompa, I heard this week that your area is one that has recently been hit the absolute hardest by the mortgage/housing crisis, so you might not be able to sell even if you wanted to. Plus, just this week I read that housing prices haven't bottomed out yet, so people are being encouraged to wait a little longer before buying a home so they can get the best deal.

It's not a seller's market anywhere in the USA right now and especially not in your locale.

Perhaps you'd like to trade? I have a cozy home in the Midwest I'll trade you....!

StAnn

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

We haven't.

We haven't got a mortgage, so there is no need to sell for financial reasons.

It is good to have the spare room when we get visitors.

It is nice to have the space in the yard for a vege garden and fruit trees too.

Cheers

Chris

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Do you sell and downsize so as to empty out the nest, ie. force the grown kids to share rooms so that they want to leave! Its really hard to get 20 plus yr olds to leave home these days.

Or do you wait until they leave of their own free will (2039), then sell and downsize to live in a retirement village?

To be mortgage free would be great (hates Black Sheep right now) but would miss the big house with theatre room, home gym room, 4 bedrooms, computer room, family room, double garage and alfresco....YES I know, I'm materialistic and I love it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit