The Truth Book by Joy Castro

by StAnn 8 Replies latest jw friends

• StAnn
    StAnn

Hello, everybody, I know this has book has been discussed in threads before, but I just read it and am upset. Guess I need to talk.

I swear, I could have written a lot of it myself. It has brought up issues and memories I haven't thought about for years.

Anybody else been moved by this book?

StAnn

• StAnn
    StAnn

bttt

• hubert
    hubert

Yes, Anne, I've read it and tried to push people into reading it, also.

Some on here have the book, and tried to "get into it", but as you know, the first 4 or 5 chapters are a bit tough to follow, because Joy flips back and forth in different time periods.

However, I've always mentioned that once you get past these few chapters, you won't be able to put the book down.

Joy and her brother have been through a horrible childhood that no one deserves to go through. Anne, if you have been through even one tenth of what these kids went through, then I feel so sorry to hear you have.

Please, if anyone on this forum has this book, I beg you to read it. It IS very disturbing.

Hubert

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Bought it. She lost me in the first chapter with her writing style. Perhaps I should give it another try.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Hubert, well, I was never starved as a child. And my parents never divorced. Other than that, I can relate to her story almost 100%.

It's frightening to learn that my parents' "parenting style" is universal across the Witnesses.

And by the way, the perv in my life was my step-grandfather. My dad has enough guilt to carry without me letting anyone assume he was a molester. My parents beat and tortured their children but didn't sexually molest any of us.

Hubert, what really troubled me was her little brother, Tony. I have a baby brother also, five years younger. I was his "shield," taking the brunt of most of what happened. Once I left home when he was 13, it all fell on him. He ran away from home at age 16. I've always felt guilty, that I should have had him come live with me, but in my obedient JW mindset, it never occurred to me to buck my parents. So sad.

StAnn

• hubert
    hubert

Leavingwt, read 6 chapters and tell me what you think.

Hubert

Anne, you got me all choked up. You did your best for your brother. Don't feell guilty about anything. I hope your brother turned out okay, too.

(((((((Anne)))))))

Hubert

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Leavingwt, read 6 chapters and tell me what you think.

Sure thing. Thanks for the recommendation.

• StAnn
    StAnn

bttt

Anybody else read this?

StAnn

• StAnn
    StAnn

bttt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit