What does honesty and integrity mean to you?

by lisavegas420 4 Replies latest jw friends

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

that was an interview question that was asked me today.

my answer was: "doing the right thing, because it's the right thing to do."

how would you have answered the question?

lisa

• villabolo
    villabolo

This is what it meant to me. I and this other security guard were working at a place (very well known) where disbursing valuable checks was part of our job description. If one of those checks went missing there'd be hell to pay. This other guard would leave the checks abandoned on the desk along with the keys to the building and a thousand dollar radio. I would politely tell him to keep them more secure but he refused even up to the point where the restroom keys and the checks were kept in the same drawer unlocked with the employees of the building being trained by this security guard to just walk into the desk space, open the drawer and take the restroom key inches away from a manila envelope full of checks up to six digits in value.

I had to report this guard to management and our hierarchy and they told me not to worry about it. The situation remained the same and a check was finally lost and management acted like it was unimportant. I kept reporting to them though, that there was something wrong. Next thing I know I am demoted from that position with both managers(I was accountable to two hierarchies) ridiculing me whenever they passed me by. The bottom line was that the other guard was better connected and was telling them God knows what.

At that point I decided to write out a report and go over my bosses heads in explaining the situation. I knew what was going to happen next, an idiotic interview by corporate security and termination. So I was terminated.

It is ironic but when I think back on that I am reminded of that "kingdom song" that goes "but as for me, determined I shall be, to walk eternally in my integrity"

That is what honesty and integrity meant for me knowing that I was going to suffer for doing the right thing but doing it anyway and I actually brought that up at a job interview.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Interesting, what sort of position were you interviewing for?

• villabolo
    villabolo

Retail, minimum wage.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    Interesting, what sort of position were you interviewing for?

Same as villabolo....Sears; cashier, minimum wage.

What I found interesting was when I answered the question, she looked at me for a moment and said, "good answer, I ask this question everyday you wouldn't believe how many people don't have any idea what integrity means....They will say well, honesty is telling the truth, but I'm not sure whay you mean by integrity".

lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit