Born Again/JW

by maryacclaim 4 Replies latest jw friends

• maryacclaim
    maryacclaim

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

So I married my sweetheart who’s a Born Again Trinity Christian and I’m an ex-JW. Once and awhile he will ask me to go with him to his church and spend time with him there. So, one day I went and I about fell over at how funny they are and get about their Christian music. These people on stage are rocking out like they’re huge rock stars and then will all just break into some weird prayer to Jesus out of the blue. He always tells me how great they all are and how important they are in bringing people to God. Him and his friends have like every album that cost 15 or 20 bucks and go to a lot of the Christian rock band concerts, and I ask him what part of the Money that they make goes to God. He tells me that they are workers for Gods glory and deserve a good living.

I’m in the wrong business then, cuz these guys charge around 40 bucks a ticket and had about 5000 people in the audience. But somewhere deep down I feel it’s wrong to profit on people’s faith. Ya know.

Anyway, He’s an incredible husband to me, and if he’s happy to each their own. We have great bible discussions together and he never judges me on my opinions, he may disagree with me at times, but never thinks I’m a bad person for questioning things that I have read.

He gets a kick out of how I think there is more life on other systems and how God very well could have other friends that are Gods that have their own projects. Like, how this planet is just one of the projects going right now and he put his creation Jesus in charge of this while he is attending to other things he’s got going on. I mean, can’t a business owner hire a CEO and a board to run his company, and then own other companies that are similar? These are the things I always throw at him, so I guess I can deal with his beliefs.

• undercover
    undercover

So I married my sweetheart who’s a Born Again Trinity Christian and I’m an ex-JW. Once and awhile he will ask me to go with him to his church and spend time with him there. So, one day I went and I about fell over at how funny they are and get about their Christian music. These people on stage are rocking out like they’re huge rock stars and then will all just break into some weird prayer to Jesus out of the blue. He always tells me how great they all are and how important they are in bringing people to God. Him and his friends have like every album that cost 15 or 20 bucks and go to a lot of the Christian rock band concerts, and I ask him what part of the Money that they make goes to God. He tells me that they are workers for Gods glory and deserve a good living.

I’m in the wrong business then, cuz these guys charge around 40 bucks a ticket and had about 5000 people in the audience. But somewhere deep down I feel it’s wrong to profit on people’s faith. Ya know.

Anyway, He’s an incredible husband to me, and if he’s happy to each their own. We have great bible discussions together and he never judges me on my opinions, he may disagree with me at times, but never thinks I’m a bad person for questioning things that I have read.

Sounds like you're both willing to accept each other's beliefs. Your marriage is built on more than religious superstition...which is good. And it's good that you can debate these differences without repurcussions. Good for you both.

Another plus, for you at least...he's spending money on Christian music and not on strippers...

• drwtsn32
  • jws
    jws

My wife and I went to a nearby church several times. I could not stand the watered down psuedo-rock filled with unoriginal lyrics.

I grew up with a guy. Very religious, but he loves all of the great rock bands from the 70's on. Also listens to Christian Rock. He tried to get me to listen to some of it, it was depressing. You can just tell he's also struggling too. It doesn't sound anything like the real stuff he likes, but he tries to like it because he thinks it's the right thing to like.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I have some Christian rock music that is quite good. The problem I have with it is that it is all about religious things and I think that stifles creativity. A twenty year old guy isn't only thinking about Jesus. He's thinking about girls, cars, snowboarding, surfing to name a few things. Being a Christian isn't just about the few hours you spend in Church it should be about every other aspect of your life. I don't understand why some Christians think that a Christian musician music should always sound churchy. It hasn't aways been that way Bach wrote great music for church and a lot of other wonderful music. One of the things that makes U2 so good is that although some of them are Christians they don't go on and on about it in every song. There are a lot of Christians in the music industry that don't feel the need to make every song into a sermon. I think that there is a big difference between a musician who happens to be a Christian and a Christian musician. With Christian musician it is as much about their agenda as it is about the music and can sound forced like a lot of self help books that are written in story form to get a point across. I believe the best testament to someones belief is how they live in general not how much they try to cram their beliefs down someone elses throat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit