Something I found useful

by outbackaussie 3 Replies latest jw friends

• outbackaussie
    outbackaussie

When I was mostly recovered from being a JW I found I was pretty angry and following from that, wanted to "save" my family that were still in. I have a wonderful husband who is eminently logical and thoughtful, somewhat the opposite of me. We used to have lengthy discussions about family and responsibility and suchlike. I found myself casting about for ways to get through to my family and help them leave behind the mind control that held them captive.

I remember when I first stumbled over Plato's Allegory of the Cave. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_cave I remember thinking it was analagous to being in the Truth. I remember the strange sad acceptance that I felt, realising that I probably could never "show them the light" because the light would hurt them and they would turn from it even if they got that far. That they would certainly attack me as someone who spoke against the status quo. Their reality was just that... theirs. I couldn't inject mine.

So I think it can sometimes be useful to remember that we all have to seek the sun ourselves and be patient with those who are still chained in the dark cave watching shadows.

• PanzerZauberei
    PanzerZauberei

That's an interesting view. I am also eager to share my new found light, but am finding a resistance to some subjects. When I think about it, my folks learned the truth according to the watchtower and we used to take long trips on weekends o they could share what they learned with the catholic and pentecostal factions of both sides of my family. Their efforts won us all a persona non grata stigma anywhere we went. I feel like as my family listens to the garbage I have uncovered in the wbts past, I will eventually be held at arm's length if I press too hard. I have decided to plant seeds and live my life and hope they see what I did.

• hubert
    hubert

As Panzer said, planting seeds is usually the best way. Once you push too hard to try to make them see the light, you would be considered apostate, and will never get through to them.

So, plant the seeds, and wait.

Hubert

• happpyexjw
    happpyexjw

I agree with Panzer and Hubert. When I decided to leave, I said nothing to my children (ages 16 and 21) in defense of my decision. I never encouraged them to leave. I simply moved on and started living. I got married again, celebrated holidays, enrolled in college, etc. It wasn't long before my kids joined me in freedom. We are all much happier now. It is very tempting to try and "convince" others we love to see the light, but in my opinion there is a risk involved if you do. They will feel defensive and the wts conditioning will cause them to think you are a threat to all they have been taught is life-saving. Patience is important. Good luck!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit