Comments you will NOT hear at the Congregation Bible Study Week Starting March 23

by LUKEWARM 1 Replies latest jw friends

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

This chapter is divided up into three parts to be covered over 3 weeks - here are my comments for this week and please add yours!

LOVE THOSE WHOM GOD LOVES

"He that is walking with wise persons will become wise."-PROVERBS 13:20.

Q1-3. (a) What inescapable truth does the Bible express? (b) How can we choose associates who will influence us for the good?IN A way, people are like sponges; they tend to absorb whatever surrounds them. It is all too easy to adopt-even unwittingly-the attitudes, standards, and personality traits of those with whom we have close association.

2 The Bible expresses an inescapable truth when it says: "He that is walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly." (Proverbs 13:20) This proverb speaks about more than casual contact. The expression "walking with" suggests ongoing association. Commenting on this verse, one Bible reference work says: "To walk with a person implies love and attachment." Would you not agree that we tend to imitate those we love? Indeed, because we attach ourselves emotionally to those we love, they can have a molding effect on us-for good or for bad.

Why don't they state what this "Bible reference work" is?

Is it because they are using a commentary of the METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH??

What arrogance and hypocrisy to be quoting from "Babylon the Great"

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=JdgMAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA739&lpg=PA739&dq=To+walk+with+a+person+implies+love+and+attachment&source=bl&ots=vnSOK0M65w&sig=vwUnAAXXvh2l1rQyg0vm3HkyNm0&hl=en&ei=_2vHSZaLMoiO6gP-97nVBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

3 To remain in God's love, it is vital that we seek out associates who will influence us for the good. How can we do that? Put simply, we can do so by loving those whom God loves, making his friends our friends. Think about it. What better associates could we choose than those who have the qualities that Jehovah looks for in his friends? Let us, then, examine the kind of people who are loved by God. With Jehovah's viewpoint clearly in mind, we will be better equipped to choose wholesome associates.

Are "associates who will influence us for the good" only JW's?

Does God love non JW's?

THOSEWHOMGODLOVES Q4. Why does Jehovah have the right to be particular about his friends, and why did Jehovah refer to Abraham as "my friend"?
    4 When it comes to friendship, Jehovah is particular. Does he not have the right to be? After all, he is the Sovereign Lord of the universe, and friendship with him is the greatest of all privileges. Whom, then, does he choose as his friends? Jehovah draws close to those who trust in him and put their full faith in him. Consider, for example, the patriarch Abraham, a man known for his outstanding faith. It is hard to imagine a greater test of faith for a human father than to be asked to offer up his son as a sacrifice. Yet, Abraham "as good as offered up Isaac," having full faith "that God was able to raise him up even from the dead." (Hebrews 11:17-19) Because Abraham displayed such faith and obedience, Jehovah affectionately referred to him as "my friend."-Isaiah 41:8; James 2:21-23.
    Does God draw close to people who believe and trust in him and who are not associated with the Brooklyn Organization?
    Q5. How does Jehovah view those who loyally obey him?
    5 Jehovah places a high value on loyal obedience. He loves those who are willing to put loyalty to him above all else. (2 Samuel 22:26) As we saw in Chapter 1 of this publication, Jehovah finds great pleasure in those who choose to obey him out of love. "His intimacy," says Proverbs 3:32, "is with the upright ones." Those who loyally meet God's requirements receive a gracious invitation from Jehovah: They can be guests in his "tent"-welcomed to worship him and granted free access to him in prayer.-Psalm 15:1-5.

Is obedience and loyalty to God or the WTS required?

Can we worship God without the direction Brooklyn provides?

Q6. How can we show that we love Jesus, and how does Jehovah feel about those who love his Son?
    6 Jehovah loves those who love Jesus, his only-begotten Son. Jesus said: "If anyone loves me, he will observe my word, and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make our abode with him." (John 14:23) How can we show our love for Jesus? Surely by observing his commandments, including the commission to preach the good news and make disciples. (Matthew 28:19, 20; John 14:15, 21) We also show our love for Jesus when we "follow his steps closely," imitating him in word and deed to the best of our ability as imperfect humans. (1 Peter 2:21) Jehovah's heart is touched by the efforts of those whose love for his Son moves them to pursue a Christlike course.

So if JW's observe Jesus words, will Jesus and his father "come to...and make..."their "...abode with..." them?

Here is a perfect opportunity to elaborate on the many things Jesus taught but the WTS choose to emphasise "preach the good news and make disciples" and then generalise with "follow his steps closely".

Why just single out one thing? Why are they so obsessed by "commission to preach the good news and make disciples" (when they don't even preach the same good news Jesus taught) and not mention other things Jesus taught like charity? Q7. Why is it wise to befriend Jehovah's friends?
    7 Faith, loyalty, obedience, and love for Jesus and his ways-these are among the qualities that Jehovah looks for in His friends. Each of us does well to ask himself: 'Are such qualities and ways evident in my close associates? Have I made Jehovah's friends my friends?' It is wise to do so. Individuals who cultivate godly qualities and preach the Kingdom good news with zeal can have a positive effect on us, influencing us to live up to our determination to please God.-See the box "What Is a Good Friend?" on page 29.

Are "Jehovah's friends" only JW's?

Is it ok to be friends with those who don't "preach the Kingdom good news with zeal"?
    WHATISAGOODFRIEND?Principle: "A true companion is loving all the time, and is a brother that is born for when there is distress."-Proverbs 17:17.
    Somequestionstoaskyourself? Are my friends also friends of Jehovah and Jesus?-John 15:14, 16; James 2:23.
    ? Do my friends help me to develop good habits?-1 Corinthians 15:33.
    ? Do my friends love me enough to correct me if necessary?-Psalm 141:5; Proverbs 27:6.
    ? What do my speech and actions reveal about the type of friend I am to others?-Proverbs 12:18; 18:24; 1 John 3:16-18.

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

Thanks for putting the material here. I agree well with the content in the paragraphs. I'm surprized that it urges to love Jesus. That was long ago I heard something similar in the litterature. But that right. Are they improving? But a little disappointment was of course what paragraph 6 said about how to show our love for Jesus. It stresses really hard the preaching work. But in the last WT-study it was made very clear that we should not concider preaching more important than doing fine works, showing love in helpful deeds within the congregation. But of course the last WT has the "newest light".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit