Jehovah's Witnesses - the antitypical Pharisees

by processor 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• processor
    processor

The following comparison of Pharisees and Jehovah's Witnesses was included in my letter of disassociation. It will also be featured in the next Witchtower issue. But since it is a serious topic, I wanted to post it here:

Pharisees

Jehovah’s Witnesses

The Pharisees constituted a prominent sect of Judaism in the days of Jesus’ earthly ministry. They tried to keep themselves separate from others, including fellow Jews. – w77 6/15 380.

Jehovah’s Witnesses constitute a prominent sect of Christianity in our days. They try to keep themselves separate from others, including adherents of other Christian groups.

As a body, the Pharisees were concerned about establishing their own righteousness. They scrupulously paid the tenth of such small products as mint, dill and cummin. On a regular basis, they would fast for religious reasons. They were concerned about observing traditions to the letter, especially in connection with Sabbath observance and the washing of hands. – w77 6/15 380.

As a body, Jehovah’s Witnesses are concerned about establishing their own righteousness. They scrupulously study the Bible and their publications several times each week. On a regular basis, they go preaching from house to house. They are concerned about observing Watchtower teachings to the letter, especially in connection with meeting attendance and field service.

The Pharisees wanted to impress others with their righteousness and therefore made a public display of it. They did this even in their dress. The Mosaic law required the Israelites to have fringed edges on the skirts of their garments. ... The Pharisees took this a step farther. They enlarged the fringed edges of their garments in order to stand out among the people. – w77 6/15 380.

Jehovah’s Witnesses want to impress others with their righteousness and therefore make a public display of it. They do this even in their dress. The Bible requires Christians to dress ‘modest and well arranged’. Jehovah’s Witnesses take this a step farther. They dictate many details regarding clothing, i. e. they forbid women to wear pantsuits (even in winter) and discuss regularly about the length of skirts.

Because of what they did, the Pharisees felt superior to fellow Israelites who did not observe the Law according to the Pharisees’ traditional interpretation. Their attitude is reflected in a prayer that Jesus Christ, in one of his illustrations, represents as being spoken by a Pharisee. … The Pharisees actually looked with contempt upon those who failed to observe the great body of rabbinic tradition. – w77 6/15 381.

Because of what they do, Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that they alone have the “true religion” and are “God’s people”. Hence, they feel superior to fellow Christians who do not observe the Law according to the Watchtower interpretation. Their attitude is reflected in a Watchtower article: “Righteous” means meeting God’s standard, not man’s. Worldly men occupy their minds with unrighteous schemes. (w94 6/15 16) Jehovah’s Witnesses actually look with contempt upon those who fail to observe the great body of Watchtower teachings, and avoid closer contact with them.

It appears the Pharisees thought that defilement resulted from contact with people who did not observe the Law according to their traditional view. So Jesus’ associating and even eating with reputed sinners and tax collectors gave them occasion to object. – w77 6/15 381.

It appears Jehovah’s Witnesses think that defilement results from contact with people who do not observe the Biblical commands according to the Watchtower Society’s view. So a Jehovah’s Witness associating and even eating with someone of another religion, a so-called “worldling”, gives the elders occasion to object.

Their attitude toward God’s law and fellow Israelites did violence to the spirit of that law, making it burdensome to the people. They lost sight of the weightier matters of the Law—justice, mercy, faithfulness and love of God. (Matt. 23:23; Luke 11:42-44) As Jesus pointed out regarding the Sabbath: “The sabbath came into existence for the sake of man, and not man for the sake of the sabbath.” – w77 6/15 381.

The scribes, like the Pharisees, had added many things, making the Law burdensome for the people to follow, loading the people down. – it-2 878.

Their attitude toward the Bible fellow Christians did violence to the spirit of Christendom, making it burdensome to the people. They lost sight of the weightier matters of the Law – charity, mercy, faithfulness and love of God.

“The congregation came into existence for the sake of Christians, and not Christians for the sake of the congregation.”

Jehovah’s Witnesses, like the Pharisees, have added many things to the Bible (50 Watchtower study articles every year and countless other publications), making it burdensome for the people to follow, loading the people down.

In areas that really touched the lives of people, their sticking to human precepts was responsible for serious injury. For example, children could get out of helping aged and needy parents by claiming that all their property was dedicated to God. – w77 6/15 382.

In areas that really touched the lives of people, their sticking to human precepts was responsible for serious injury. For example, Christians could get out of helping aged and needy fellow Christians by dedicating all their time to the preaching work.

The Christian Greek Scriptures reveal that the Pharisees fasted twice each week, tithed scrupulously, and did not agree with the Sadducees. – it-2 625.

Their publications reveal that Jehovah’s Witnesses assemble at least twice each week, fill out field service reports scrupulously, and do not agree with other Christian groups.

The Pharisees were so biased in their application of the Law that they made it burdensome for the people, insisting that it be observed according to their concepts and traditions. – it-2 625.

Jehovah’s Witnesses are so biased in their application of Bible verses that they make it burdensome for their followers, insisting that it be observed according to their concepts and explanations.

The Pharisees went to great lengths in making proselytes . – it-2 625.

Jehovah’s Witnesses go to great lengths in making disciples.

To a blind man whom Jesus had cured on the Sabbath they said concerning Jesus: “This is not a man from God, because he does not observe the Sabbath.” – it-2 625.

About people of other religions who accomplish works of Christian love they say: “These are no Christians because they do not preach from house to house.”

This people honors me with their lips, yet their heart is far removed from me. It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach commands of men as doctrines. – Mat. 15:8-9.

Jehovah’s Witnesses honor God with their lips (in field service). But it is in vain, because they teach commands of men (from the Watchtower) as doctrines.

The Pharisee stood and began to pray these things to himself, “O God, I thank you I am not as the rest of men, extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week, I give the tenth of all things I acquire.” – Luke 18:11, 12.

The Pioneer stood and began to pray these things to himself, “O God, I thank you I am not as the worldlings, extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers, or even as this inactive one. I spend 70 hours in the preaching work every month, I keep attending all meetings.”

• carla
  • dozy
    dozy

Good comparisons.

• donny
    donny

Very well done.

Don

• BarefootServant
    BarefootServant

Yes, JWs have created an excellent modern reproduction of the Pharisees.

And if Jesus came back today he'd be disfellowshipped.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

You could also take a look at Matt 23 and use scripture. Nothing worse than them knocking out your arguments with the old "That is old light"

I wrote a piece a while back http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/35854/1/Matthew-23-and-the-WTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit