Daily Text - 1 Tim. 6:4

by YoYoMama 6 Replies latest jw friends

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama

1 Tim. 6:4 - From these things spring envy, strife, abusive speeches, wicked suspicions.

Commentary:

Evidently, in the apostle Paul's day, there were some in the congregation who failed to control their tongue and got involved in quibbling debates about words. (1 Tim. 2:8) There were others who thought too much of their own opinions and even went so far as to challenge the authority of Paul. (2 Cor. 10:10-12) Such a spirit resulted in needless conflicts. (Gal. 5:15) We do well to acknowledge the potential for such futile debates. Of course, it is normal to discuss Bible accounts or wonder about aspects of the promised new world that have not as yet been revealed. And there is nothing wrong with exchanging ideas on personal matters. However, if we become dogmatic about our ideas and take offense when others do not agree with us, the congregation may end up becoming divided over minor issues. w 5/1/00

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Minor issues?Like the great whore boinking the wild beast?I wonder how well that conversation will go over at the local KH.I wouldn`t worry to much about it though,WBTS isn`t that big on freedom of speach.Although they do demand it for themselves.Maybe they should put down their bibles and pick up a broom!...OUTLAW

• Julie
    Julie

I would challenge Paul. I think he was a self-important, self-righteous, chauvanistic, proud moocher. Oh yeah, he was haughty too.

But hey, that's me.

Take care,
    Julie

• Mum
    Mum

Julie, you are such an astute observer of character. Paul was everything you said.

YoYo,
    Yes, I will question authority which I consider arbitrarily placed. Disagreement is beautiful; it is how we all learn from one another. Never questioning in order to avoid discord breeds stagnation.

Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow. - Horace

I have learned to live each day as it comes and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow. - Dorothy Dix

• hippikon
    hippikon

Thank you for this information YoYoMama. I hope you can make this a regular feature. I think all will benefit from considering such theocratic snippets

Comments:

authority of Paul
    Who has the “God Given” authority today? How do we know they have this authority and what dose this authority allow them to do?

there is nothing wrong with exchanging ideas on personal matters. However, if we become dogmatic
    Enquiring minds should follow this advice and realise no “interpretation” is written in stone. We should be open-minded and prepared to meditate on the possibility that some of our preconceived ideas may be wrong. All should be exhorted to discuss their doubts rather than ignore uncertainties.
  • Budda Belly
    Budda Belly

1 Tim. 6:4 - From these things spring envy, strife, abusive speeches, wicked suspicions.

Commentary:

YO YO, you used the best Bilble text to describe
    the local Kingdom Hall.

• Englishman
    Englishman
    1 Tim. 6:4 - From these things spring envy, strife, abusive speeches, wicked suspicions

So why do you have to put your fourpennyworth in to explain it, you think that maybe we're all stupid?

Englishman.

Bring on the dancing girls!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit