Anybody hear of "LIFE ENRICHMENT BOOT CAMP"??

by jws 9 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

A friend of mine has apparently pre-registered and pre-paid the registration fee for some "Life Enrichment Boot Camp".

From what I gather, it's something started by Dr Phil.

Jim Carroll was a trainer under Dr Phil and was inspired to create The Life Enrichment Boot Camps and Marriage Seminars. The self improvement seminar is an intense life changing seminar that is the perfect place to increase self-esteem, value and worth. More and more counselors and ministries are trusting The Life Enrichment Seminar (Dr. Phil Boot Camp style) and Marriage Seminar Boot Camp styles to provide positive healing. More and more counselors and ministries are trusting The Life Enrichment Seminar (Dr. Phil Boot Camp style) and Marriage Seminar Boot Camp styles to provide positive healing.

Has anybody heard of these? Know what it's about? What's the jist of it?

The above quote mentions ministries trusting it, but from what I can tell, it doesn't mention religion. It sounds a little "Promise Keepers" to me though. And I think Dr. Phil is just some pseudo-psychiatrist whose priorities are to be famous and make money.

Saw this on one website, which makes it look like a scam:

Graduates from previous Boot Camps sponsor others. Previous graduates contribute $200.00 for tickets to sponsor their friends. New registrants will only need to pay the remaining $200.00 per person for the Basic Training or $400.00 to attend the Advanced Training.

So I'm supposed to feel all honored that somebody put up a couple of hundred bucks for a class. I don't want to waste their money, so I go. I then get hit up for another $200 at the door (that wasn't apparent from the letter). And then at the end I get hit up to contribute another $200 for somebody else, thus continuing the chain and doing their marketing for them.

My wife says it sounds like an MLM and doesn't want any part of it. I think one of the other terms that goes hand-in-hand with MLMs is "direct marketing", which is more like what it is. Sucking in your friends.

It's like 6pm-11pm for 3 nights, and then I think an all-day session. We've got a couple of kids and the night-time daycare would be $90/night, plus the Saturday might cost $200 in child-care. So, we're talking $200 for our half of registration, about $400-$500 in child-care, and another $200 they'll hit us up for afterwards. In the end, I'm out $800-$900. Thanks friend, great gift!

There's also a certain level of audacity here. Saying "hey, you need some self-help". Excuse me! On the other hand, maybe it's something they had fun with and thought we might like it too.

Just confused. I don't really like the schedule. I didn't ask for this and I'm not really interested. I'm afraid there's some religious message inside (which would be typical of this friend). I don't want to hurt their feelings. I don't want their money to go to waste. On the other hand, if it's good, I'd be interested.

Anybody know anything? Is it good afterall?

What if I can't attend? Does my friend get his money back?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Not a big Dr Phil fan and some of his methods of how he helps people

Hope your friend can get his money back.

purps

• gerald.saul
    gerald.saul

Hi JWS,

I happen to be a recent graduate of Life Enrichment Boot Camp. I'm disappointed that your friend hasn't told you a little bit more about the camp, so if you wouldn't mind hearing it from me, I'll be happy to tell you. :)

First, the Boot Camp is not about getting your money. Simply, it is a group of talented, caring people helping others get past the hurt in their lives so they can begin to rebuild relationships and get their lives back on track.

It is *not* some kind of networking scheme. It is not about "sucking in your friends" and getting them into the program. I have several friends that I have recommended the Camp to, not because I'm trying to make money or anything like that. But, because this event has changed my life and I want others to have that same opportunity. I was with a lot of hurting people, myself included, who spent four days in focused, intense drills and exercises and left that event with a completely new outlook on life.

If child care is an issue for you, maybe consider going alone and then your wife can go at a later date. It would be awesome if you could participate together, but it's definitely not required. The schedule is exhausting, absolutely. But, it is necessary for what they are trying to accomplish. You will be challenged mentally and emotionally and will be pushed to look inside yourself to see what really makes you tick.

Finally, regarding the religious message. Yes, the Boot Camp discusses God as a part of several exercises, but never doctrine or dogma, or even religion, really. It's just a matter of a belief in a Higher Power. The religion you have regarding that Higher Power is for you and you alone.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please voice them! I'd be happy to help any way I can. :)

Sincerely,

Gerald Saul

PS. Would you be participating in the Boot Camp in Plano, TX?

• Quentin
    Quentin

Hmmmmm...two frist time posters give positive testimony about "Boot Camp"....Hmmmm....Like Purps, hope your friend can get his money back...

• gerald.saul
    gerald.saul

Quentin,

I'm sorry you think I have ill intentions or some hidden motive. jws asked for information about the boot camp and I felt he deserved an answer.

This organization and the events they host are the farthest thing from some scheme or "non-profit" group aiming to get your money. They're just a group of people who are trying to help others have better relationships with their spouses, family, and friends.

- Gerald

• sir82
    sir82

Sounds familiar..."we don't want your money"...."we don't want to change your religion"...

This camp may or may not be a good idea, but it is going ot be a really hard sell on a website such as this one.

• dallas_kj
    dallas_kj

So lets set a few things straight as I have a few facts that have been left out. Hopefully these facts will show you what type of people you are dealing with at the life enrichment bootcamp.

1. Mr. Jim Carroll, the founder of the camp, did not train under Dr. Phil. He paid a fee to attend a seminar that was presented by Dr. Phil. Big stretch that leads you to believe he has some credentials.

2. Mr. Jim Carroll, initially started the "Road Adventure" seminar prior to the bootcamp but was ousted because he had cheated on his wife at the time with a younger woman and then got a divorce from said wife.

3. Mr. Jim Carroll, went on to marry said younger woman (which doesn't take away from his ability to teach a seminar on life) but.... he then divorced her and married another woman a few months after the divorce was final from wife number two.

So why would divorce and infidelity play into this, well his seminar is about healing lives and he says he helps with divorce and marriage. Maybe Mr. Carroll should attend his own bootcamp as he is somehow failing at his own prescribed goals.

Lets then move to David Bishop. The new leader of the bootcamp as more than likely having a divorcee with three failed marriages wasn't cutting it. This guy is an ex-civil service employee who has no education or formal training in this type work. He learned his scheming and talk from Mr. Carroll.

Lastly, let me leave with you this. You can ask anyone that knows Mr. Carroll well and they will tell you one thing that stands out about this man. He will do anything for money. That and fame are his two top priorities in life. He gambles, cheats, and has unethical business practices.

Visit this seminar at your own risk.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Old Thread I know, but considering Jim Carroll and David Bishop are personal friends of mine I feel I should say something.

First, if you go to LEBC looking for some sort of absolution or an infalliable authority (sound familar?) then Jim, David, and LEBC is going to disappoint you every time. It is not a cult or religion it is just an accelerated 4 day seminar/workshop for people that want to improve their relationships. That being said I have seen more than one X-JW go through and get rid of a lot of baggage. Anyone want to guess what most of it centered around?

Second, a lot of the things you have said about Jim and David are based on truth. They have always been upfront and never hid any of the unsavory parts of their lives or claimed to be anything more than what they are. In fact, being imperfect reinforces the mission that they are there to just help people process their baggage and find their own answers. They never put themselves in a position of being an "authority" in any ones life or even in self-help or psychology. They run a program where the attendees do the hard work, which is why it is called boot camp.

Personally, the program helped me a lot when I was struggling a few years ago. I have seen it help a lot of others since. It is not for everyone and that is ok as well.

Last, it is not financed through an "MLM" system at all. People that went through it and got something out of it are encouraged to refer others and yes there is some costs associated with staff, rental of the space, equipment, etc. None of which is cheap. If you compare what they "ask" for compared to what other similar programs "charge" you will see the difference. About 1,000 people have been going through the program every year for almost 10+ years now. If someone, somewhere wasn't getting something out of it, I would think it would have dried up by now.

P.S. If anyone would like to go and comment, review or give their opinion about LEBC (which out co-ersion or input from me) on here then I have a challenge. You are more than welcome to attend as my guest (I will pay any fees). You won't owe a nickel except your travel and boarding of course (unless you want to crash on my floor next to my dog LOL).

PM me if interested.

• Jim Carroll
    Jim Carroll

This is Jim Carroll, the founder of the Life Enrichment Boot Camp. I discovered this post by accident. The best place to find information about our program is at www.lifeenrichmentbootcamp.com or www.marriagebootcamp.com There are over 500 testimonies from graduates on those pages. We have been conducting the Boot Camp for more than 10 years. David Bishop and I have been conducting seminars for 18 years.

You will have a hard time finding anyone that has attended the program to say anything bad about it. We have probably more than 18,000 graduates.

The one negative post on this site is not from a graduate, but from someone that apparently doesn't like me. The statements are false and deflamatory.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Dr. Phil seems like a self promoting quack to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit