3 guys and a demo on the assembly

by JimmyPage 6 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Years ago I was in a demo on the assembly with a couple of other guys that I grew up with. I played the part of a guy who was into computers and out to make big money after high school. That was my key line: "Big Money!" Another guy wasn't sure what he wanted to do after school. My best friend played the part of a guy who was encouraging us to consider pioneering instead.

We got on stage and as the undecided guy spoke his lines a spit bubble came out of his mouth and floated on past us. Somehow I remained serious and kept going. My best friend told me later he would have busted up in laughter right then and there if I hadn't kept it together.

Years later, the undecided guy got involved with drugs. (Incidentally, when he came to rehearse the assembly part, he used to ask us what music we were into. He was into AC/DC at the time which prompted my best friend to counsel him about 'After Christ the Devil Came'.) In fact, at the lowest point of his life, the police found him hiding from them in the trunk of a car. I saw him not too long ago. He's not the same. His mind has been burnt out from the drug abuse. He's back in the safety of his family and the borg but his congregation is a lot smaller than it used to be.

My best friend hasn't been in the cult for years. He used to be a pioneer, just like in the assembly part. He was my best man at my wedding and we still keep in touch. As for me, you guys know my story.

Just thought it was interesting to look back at how things turned out for some typical dubs on an assembly part.

• Emily24
    Emily24

That's a great story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Welcome to the board, Emily24! I'm so proud to have your first post on my thread.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I remember doing demos or interviews, but then I also remember playing angel gabriel in my preschool christmas play (before we became JWs - I was about 7)

• chickpea
    chickpea

it is interesting to see
    that sometimes those
    "most worthy" end up
    leaving the b0rg in the
    rear view mirror....

two sistahs from the KH
    i had attended had parts,
    one at a CA and the other
    at a DC.... uber-dedicated
    pioneering types

both ultimately were DF'd
    for sins of the flesh.... not
    sure that either returned...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

You are better off going for the big money with computers than you are pio-sneering. There is no guarantee that the money will be worth anything after all this inflation stimulus ends, but there is a guarantee that you will be poor and stagnant if you pio-sneer.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

bttt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit