Aid book spotted at local store

by Jim_TX 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Yesterday, my wife and I were at a local thrift store. We wound up in the used book section, and I happened to spot a pale blue thick book on one of the lower shelves.

I thought to myself... 'Hmmm... I seem to remember a book like this one...', and picked it up. Sure enough, it was an 'Aid' book.

I opened it up and flipped to a section - then chuckled to myself.

I handed the book to my wife and said... "Here was my favorite picture in the whole book."

She looked at it for a bit, trying to comprehend... then said something like, "Oh! You're bad!"

I had it opened to the section on 'bondage' and the photo was of various types of handcuff bondage that the Egyptians employed on their captives.

I laughed - and put the book back on the shelf.

It occurred to me this morning... I seem to remember as a lad... weren't there months where they had us go door-knocking - trying to 'place' that durn book? Or am I just dreaming.

It was either that one - or one of the other books - that didn't make sense - as to why we would be trying to get 'outsiders' to buy them.

Oh. Wait. That's right. Book publishing company. I forgot for a minute.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good morning, Jim:

I don't recall if we offered this in service. It's the only WT publication I really liked (I still use it for reference). Maybe because I helped print it in B'lyn!

Thanks for sharing,

CoCo

• mouthy
    mouthy

I still use it to day. in the Lie section good work CoCo.It is not used by the WT now

• undercover
    undercover

Can someone refresh me memory here...

Seems like I remember that Ray Franz had a big part to do with Aid book. Once he was ousted, they created the new two set reference book (can't remember the name right off) and released them to replace the Aid book, thus eliminating Ray Franz's influence on the more studious JW who might stumble on some of his findings...

Maybe one of our historians can help us out...

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Hey Undercover, you're correct that Ray Franz had a large role in writing the Aid book. As he recounts the tale, Nate Knorr asked him to take the lead on it back in the late 60s. Ray was appointed to the G.B. in 1971, the year the Aid book was released.

The Insight books replaced the Aid book in 1988 if I remember correctly. A large portion of Insight is the same as the Aid book, but with larger font and prettier pictures.

• undercover
    undercover

Thanks OMG...

• the research lady
    the research lady

We once saw one volume of the Insight book at Christian Book Distributors in Mass. We were told that other book publishers often send them samples to see if they would sell them. Funny seeing a book published by the dangerous cult of Jehovah's Witnesses at a Christian Book Company.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit