What if Judge Rutherford never became president of the WT?

by Roddy 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Roddy
    Roddy

I was talking with a friend and an interesting point came up: What if Judge Rutherford never became president of the WT?

Much of the heavy-handed, centralized, and authoritarian things we don't like about the WTS is the Rutherford presidency legacy. If the WTS stayed on the Charles Russell track, would we still be JWs (or "Bible Students"?) Would there be less scandal, controversy, and dogmatic rules?

We rather thought that the WTS would be a kinder and less heavy-handed organization if it didn't have a Judge Rutherford presidency. It wouldn't have had its officers jailed in 1918, it wouldn't be arbitrarily injecting itself constantly into Bible prophesy, and so many things. I wouldn't be surprised if it would actually apologize for 1914 or other failed dates. And so much more.

What do you think?

• garybuss
    garybuss

What if Judge Rutherford never became president of the WT?

Just a wild guess . . . there wouldn't be a group called Jehovah's Witnesses and we wouldn't be posting here today.

• blondie
    blondie

Then the ones Russell wanted to run things would have been in charge. Probably would have stayed Bible Students....no jws

• villabolo
    villabolo

Look at all the misery and self worshipping arogance during the Knorr/Franz and present era. The details might change but the basics would be the same.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

garybuss nailed it.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

If I remember correctly, a large number of Bible Students did not continue on with Rutherford. They are still around though. Perhaps that would be all that was left without Rutherford.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit