What about the Russellites?

by Roddy 7 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Roddy
    Roddy

I was wondering about the Russellites recently. You remember -- these were the Russell puritans who refused to submit to Judge Rutherford's new direction and/or centralization of authority into the Watchtower organization.

In spite of Judge Rutherford's cursings, they continue down to this day. They seem to be free of scandals. I don't know if this is because they are more intelligent, stronger spiritually, too small to attract media attention, or a bit of all of the above.

Comments anyone?

• minimus
    minimus

Look up the poster's RR. He's an expert on "the Russellites".

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I think it is sort of a romantic idealization to believe that the "Russellites" - who generally call themselves "Bible students" - are a happy and homogenous group of spiritually-minded people.

I have had the pleasure of knowing a handful of today's modern Bible Students, and I find them to be genuine, honest, polite and sincere people very much like myself and my atheist friends.

The WTB&TS exercises quite a bit of control over the access its membership has to the historical truth about the organization. As a result, we often think that back in Pastor Russell's day everything was harmonious and idyllic. The fact is, all through the Watchtower history, there have been schisms of various sizes and various breakaway groups. The book "A People For His Name" by Tony Wills (available through Amazon or Lulu) discusses many of the breakaway groups in Watchtower history prior to the 1970s. Another very good source of historical information can be found on the several different - competing? - Bible Student websites.

• minimus
    minimus

I'm sorry but anyone who still accepts Pastor Russell's interpetations still, is rather dumb, in my humble opinion.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I didn't say they are RIGHT, I said they are NICE.

Some people are neither.

• minimus
    minimus

I wasn't thinking of you, Nathan. I KNOW you're not dumb!

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I have talked to some over the years as they maintain a booth at the county fair. I have found them to be honest sounding, with no "cult" personality kicking in when triggered. I have never detected any theocratic war strategy or blowing smoke up my ass JW style with non answers to my questions.

• RR
    RR

The Bible Students are not without their problems. While the Society squelches the very same freedoms they fight, too much freedom can also be a problem.

Allowing everyone to have their opinions and believe and teach what they want causes confusion and promotes a spirit of babylon.

With that said, despite our doctrinal differences, Bible Students enjoy each others company. The Bible Students are broken up into little groupings, so you'll have liberal, conservatives and those in-between.

So you may have to bounce around until you found a class that is comfortable. I myself am conservative, although I have meet with all kinds of Bible Students.

RR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit