Indigenous Flora / Fauna / Witnesses

by Englishman 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Back in the 1800's, some smart fella decided that it would be nice to add the American grey squirrel to the UK's indigenous population of red squirrels. The American grey decimated the UK red by booting it out of it's natural habitat, so that it can now only breed freely on a few off-shore places such as the Isle of Wight.

Poor red squirrel:

In the 1800's, some UK wise guy decided that it would be nice for the Americans to enjoy the delights of our own flying, screeching rodent, the starling, and released 24 pairs in New York City. Now the starling loves the USA and has become an even bigger pest there than over here.

In the 1800's, some USA wise-guy decided that the beliefs of a certain crack-pot society should be exported to the UK. Since then, this society has shattered the home lives of thousands of UK residents, as well as killing off many of its aherents by its crazy medical restrictions.

Now correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a lesson to be learned here somewhere?

Englishman.

Bring on the dancing girls!

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Englishman,

I don't know how correct your analogy is, but the 'crack-pot' society is certainly 'squirrely' for sure!

Outaservice (but still countin my time)

BTW, can I count time and a half after 40 hours of service?

• philo
    philo

Englishman

I wonder if it isn't about culture in some way, the 'lesson' that is. If not culture then maybe nuts. Or how about fine English red-coats and grey confederates..maybe not. Seriously though, those fluffy tails are kinda cool, our ancestors should have never given them up whatever the evolutionary advantage may have been!

Really looking forward to seeing you guys on friday!

philo

• Prisca
    Prisca

Back in the 1800s, the UK thought it would be smart to inhabit a continent that had already been inhabited for tens of thousands of years, practically wiping out thousands of the native inhabitants, destroying their culture, laws and self-respect, introducing new and deadly diseases, and destroying the natural environment, with the result that many citizens of that country now cannot trace their family history back beyond a couple of generations.

What goes around comes around, eh?

• Celia
    Celia

I did not know that about the red and grey squirrels.
    Here, we have too many red squirrels, and less and less grey ones.
    The red ones seem to overtake the habitat of the grey ones...
    (Here is north-east USA)
    I don't like the red squirrels much, they eat all the seeds I put out for the birds and destroy the feeders. Real pests.
    Still, I don't allow anyone to shoot them (here the red squirrels are often used for target practice...)

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

WOW! I'm impressed, Pris

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."

Anonymous

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Eman,

As Prisca suggested, must pay for the sins of our forefathers, for that is the true meaning of justice - to punish the children for the sins of their parents, unto the 3rd generation and the 4th and the 5th and...
    Amen.

But as Prisca must also pay for the sins of Italy over Abyssinia I will be the first volunteer to spank her, heh, heh, heh

Religion n.
    An organisation designed to promote atheism.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Philo,

We have big plans for you!

Hope you're not a veggie and that you enjoy a thick sirloin, it's me thats a-cookin'.

8pm we go a-skittlin'! Now this is something different, a premier league game at the Borough Sports, yours truly is in the anchor set. I wouldn't say that the place is old fashioned but if you DO have any flared trousers...!

10pm. We get collected by Her Ladyship and off to..The Pub!

Englishman.

Bring on the dancing girls!

• Farkel
    Farkel

Englishman,

In the 1800's, some USA wise-guy decided that the beliefs of a certain crack-pot society should be exported to the UK. Since then, this society has shattered the home lives of thousands of UK residents, as well as killing off many of its aherents by its crazy medical restrictions.
    Now correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a lesson to be learned here somewhere?
    Yes, and the lesson is obvious. Britain owes the USA a payback. Big Time!

Farkel

"I didn't mean what I meant."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit