My cousin is getting baptised today

by dorayakii 8 Replies latest jw friends

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

My aunt sent me a text message last week informing me that my cousin would be getting baptised today. She's 16 years old. I kind of didn't know what to say, I knew the day would come when she'd have to take that step, but didn't expect it so soon. I guess I always viewed her as a little girl. I called her this morning and reaffirmed what I've always told her: that I'll be there for her whatever decisions in life she decides to make.

I'm kind of afraid for her because she's never been one to be obeidient or to conform to what authorites tell her she must be or do. So as a baptised witness she'll be at the mercy of the Judicial Commitee if she does slip up.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• fokyc
    fokyc

And another one hits the dust, poor thing! Must have had a brain transplant

fokyc

• oompa
    oompa

JUST TOTAL CRAP!!!!!!....DAMMIT.........MY SON DID IT THEN TOO........WAS DFD AT 17.......SIX YEARS AGO!!!!.......HE WAS A WILD CHILD!!!........KIDNAP HER....ANYTHING........MAKE HER BACK DOWN!!!!.............OOMPS

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I saw a 1-page ad from Allstate in the Wall Street Journal about why 16 year olds have more accidents than even 17 or 18 year olds. Their brains are not fully formed and cannot understand fully the ramifications of their actions.

I think the same could be applied to 16-year olds (or younger) getting baptized. They have no concept of the ramifications. Clyde says no one should be allowed to be baptized until they are age 21. I say age 30, that's when Jesus was baptized--but then, why get baptized at all?

Bonnie

• dorayakii
    dorayakii

KIDNAP HER....ANYTHING

Lol, not much I could have done to be honest, especially being in Japan at the moment. I was just informed about it 5 days before the event; all I could do was to give her a quick call while they were all getting ready to leave for the Assembly in the morning.

When I went home for the Christmas... Winter Holiday I didn't hear anything about this. She was still her normal rebellious emo self, dressed all in black and telling me how much she hated living at home. She was far from seeming more "spiritual" or conformist than normal, so it was a bit of a surprise to hear the news.

I agree with you Bonnie, children should not be allowed to get baptized until they would otherwise have been allowed to get married. It's ridiculous that children should be allowed to enter into such an important binding "contract", for want of a better word.

• steve2
    steve2

Take heart: Becoming a baptised witness is one of the first steps young people take to eventually leave the organization. Just remind her from time to time that you will be there for her should she ever need you. Have confidence in her ability to make her own decisions because the last thing she needs is to see the "concern" in your eyes (no doubt it was the "concern" in the eyes of the witnesses that may have speeded up her decision to take the plunge). Young people make all sorts of decisions that they later regret...it's all part of growing up and becoming an adult...only for some of us it takes a bit longer.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

So long as she knows you will continue to be there for her no matter what, at least she has that.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

A large chocolate Easter Egg with a duckie inside is the perfect gift for such an occasion!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit