Another Earth?

by cameo-d 7 Replies latest jw friends

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Jesus said "I go to prepare a place so that I may come back (for you) and receive you there."

"Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of god."

Perhaps one of these planets are destined to support our new glorified bodies after the resurrection.

I do not believe there can be a Paradise restored on this contaminated earth. The chemical combinations here have half lives of thousands of years. These chemicals are already killing, deforming, and mutating humans.

Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'

There could be one hundred billion Earth-like planets in our galaxy, a US conference has heard.

Dr Alan Boss of the Carnegie Institution of Science said many of these worlds could be inhabited by simple lifeforms.

He was speaking at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Chicago.

So far, telescopes have been able to detect just over 300 planets outside our Solar System.

Very few of these would be capable of supporting life, however. Most are gas giants like our Jupiter, and many orbit so close to their parent stars that any microbes would have to survive roasting temperatures.

But, based on the limited numbers of planets found so far, Dr Boss has estimated that each Sun-like star has on average one "Earth-like" planet.

This simple calculation means there would be huge numbers capable of supporting life.

"Not only are they probably habitable but they probably are also going to be inhabited," Dr Boss told BBC News. "But I think that most likely the nearby 'Earths' are going to be inhabited with things which are perhaps more common to what Earth was like three or four billion years ago." That means bacterial lifeforms.

Dr Boss estimates that Nasa's Kepler mission, due for launch in March, should begin finding some of these Earth-like planets within the next few years.

Recent work at Edinburgh University tried to quantify how many intelligent civilisations might be out there. The research suggested there could be thousands of them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7891132.stm

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm all but certain there are other "earth like" planets in our galaxy, but not 100 billion. There are about 200 billion starts, of those only a small fraction would likely have an "earth like" planet.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Elsewhere,

I don't know where you are getting your figures from but there are probably way more than 200 billion galaxies never mind individual stars.

The latest studies have suggested that a large proportion of stars have earth-like planets, but we have to wait until the Kepler mission to find out for definite.

• parakeet
    parakeet

"Perhaps one of these planets are destined to support our new glorified bodies after the resurrection."

Perhaps you're already on one of those planets. Is the sky blue there, too?

"I do not believe there can be a Paradise restored on this contaminated earth. These chemicals are already killing, deforming, and mutating humans."

I believe you.

• Ri
    Ri

I have seen a few of those mutations in Obama;s administration...take a good look at Geither...he is soooo creepy with the black eyes and pointed ears and the way he stares at a person

• watson
    watson

I can see Elsewhere's point. Are you talking about our "galaxy" or our "universe." The universe holds many galaxies.

• watson
    watson

If each star (200,000,000,000) in our galaxy had a dozen planets, then it's possible for there to be 100,000,000,000 "earthlike" planets?

• Chalam
    Chalam

God doesn't change His mind or His plans. When He starts something He finishes it. His plan was to fill the earth with His people and dwell with them. Nothing has changed. The earth is likely to be the same one, just renewed.

Isaiah 65:17 (New International Version)

New Heavens and a New Earth
    17 "Behold, I will create
    new heavens and a new earth.
    The former things will not be remembered,
    nor will they come to mind. Examine the root of the Hebrew word for 'new' here and you find this. chadash - A primitive root; to be new; causatively, to rebuild -- renew, repair.
    2 Peter 3:13 (New International Version)

13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth

Also the root for the Greek word for new here can mean regenerated. neos - Including the comparative neoteros neh-o'-ter-os; a primary word; "new", i.e. (of persons) youthful, or (of things) fresh; figuratively, regenerate -- new, young. Whatever, it is going to be great :)
    1 Corinthians 2:9-10 (New International Version)

9 However, as it is written:
    "No eye has seen,
    no ear has heard,
    no mind has conceived
    what God has prepared for those who love him" [ a ] — 10 but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit.

My wife has had visions in the Spirit of the new earth and the beauty of it brought her to tears. The light and colour is different. Revelation agrees, 22:5 There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. What she has seen corresponds to other people's testimony about it.

All the best,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit