CO kept mispronouncing "debt"

by Red Piller 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• Splash
    Splash

Isayiya (Isaiah).

We used to have a brother who bought himself a new car, a Volvo.

He went around telling people he had just bought a vulva.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Maybe he used to be an accountant and was saying "debit."

Rub a Dub

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

My fave is when a brother who was a terrible reader, Southern with not much education, however he excelled at plumbing, one of the few brothers who, if he did work in your house you wouldn't have to worry, he did top notch service, Anyway during his talk he kept pronouncing Hittites as high titties all through the talk

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

nuke-yular (nuclear)

apaw-stull (apostle)

per-oo-zha (parousia) (Sorry, James Woods, just couldn't resist! ;) )

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

And by the way, James, you were right!

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    Hey with the big enforced ban on higher education, and forced retirement with no benefits for severence pay they are forced to scrap the bottom of barrel to find circuit overseers to fill that job because no one in their right mind wants it even among JWs.
  • rmt1
    rmt1
    If you're the smartest person in the room, get out of the room.
  • apostrate
    apostrate

I was told by a friend that at a congregation in Costa Rica a black brother giving a talk continually pronounced the word Niger as, well, you can probably guess how he mispronounced it (yes, the "N" word). One of the elders pulled him to the side and told him the proper pronunciation. Ouch!

The brother who studied with me, years ago, and he was only a few years older than me, corrected me when I said the word Habakkuk. He told me that the correct pronunciation was "Hab-back-a-nock". I was so timid at that age that, since he was the elder, I just said okay (I knew that it wasn't really pronounced that way).

Now, as if it wasn't bad enough that he should correct me whenever it was he that was in error, he raised his hand at the KH when the subject of Habakkuk came up and informed the whole congregation that the correct pronunciation was "Hab-back-a-nock".

I don't know if anyone corrected him after the meeting that night, but if you should ever run into a JW who pronounces Habakkuk as Hab-back-a-nock, tell him I said "hello".

• stillin
    stillin

It's funny. I'm at the stage where I just might approach that CO and offer kind counsel. If he cops an attitude, well, who cares?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Haha stillin...if you do that, you will be charged with "brazen conduct and a lack of respect to a holy one"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit