Tithing

by megaflower 4 Replies latest jw friends

• megaflower
    megaflower

As a JW we were taught ,"you recieved free, so give free", also the Law was fullfilled and nailed to the torture stake.My question is, Is it

biblical to tithe(give 10% of what you have)? Also, I wonder if the WTS said there was no need to tithe because in reality they wanted much more. They use to talk about the poor widow who gave all that she had rather than from surplus which is how others gave. I believe the WTS loves to instill guilt in people. I know that when I was an active JW I felt guilty about everything.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The JWs believe the Mosaic Law was done away with at Jesus' death.

Each person is free to decide how much money he or she will donate.

In 23 years, I was never once leaned upon to give more money, etc.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    the WTS said there was no need to tithe because in reality they wanted much more.

You are, if I may pun, right on the money!

The WTB&TS wants not just your money, but your time, your life, and... when you die, your estate.

Why leave it to your lousy kids, when you can "advance Kingdom interests"?

George Carlin got it right: the creator of the universe needs money!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG9QVjb_o_8

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

As a JW we were taught ,"you recieved free, so give free", also

Just curious, but how would the elders react if you always gave away the mags and never returned with any $$$? Or if someone asked for a free bible...would you be allowed to "give "it? Or would you feel responsible to have to pay for it out of your own pocket, in order to "give" it to someone? Would you always have to suggest a donation price?

Would WT ever allow you to "give" any hard back books or any study books without consequence if you returned without a donation?

How "giving" are they, really?

Is there any difference between a suggested donation price and a retail suggested price?

Is there any such thing as a mandatory donation?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I give as much to them as they create value in my life. Which is zero. Defending pedophiles does not create value in my life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit