I've lost my faith, and I'm not sure that's bad.

by kevin221 9 Replies latest jw friends

• kevin221
    kevin221

I've tried in the last few months to rely on my faith in God to carry me through the bad hand that life has dealt me, and for the most part I have managed to carry on with my sanity in order.

I do however have one question that I can't answer and therefore wish to ask you all if you have any clue as to the answer.

The love of my life died and the only consistant reason I get from my reading of the sciprture and my conversations with "religious" persons is that God had a higher purpose for calling my love to heaven. This only begs of me to ask the question, if the lifestyle my love was leading was so adverse to God's commandments, then why would he want to call him to a higher purpose? Also what in the world could that purpose possibly be?

Kevin

• rhett
    rhett

Kevin,
    Its this kind of stuff that really makes me not believe in a christian god. What kind of a crual bastard would be constantly calling people up? If he's so wonderful and powerful what does he need any of us for? To me that implies that god is actually weak and needs us therefore reducing his all wonderful power that everyone is always talking about.

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

• wallaby jack
    wallaby jack

I'm saddened to hear of your deep loss Kevin,

I don't believe in a God in heaven or Angels talking to the souls of the dead or men in clean red suits clambering down my chimney in late December. As far as i can tell the purpose of life is life. We delude ourselves in all kinds of ways when we go beyond that pure and simple thought but often our own stability and survival demand we take respite from lifes hash realities or take on desires and wants to make life worth living. Biologically i have been surplus to requirements for some time now, having replicated my faulty genes some years ago but will spend the next 40 or so years enjoying as many days as possible, reading, swimming, working wood by hand etc..

best wishes, unclebuce

• Satanus
    Satanus

kevin

I think that kind of talk is just a cover for the inability to answer your question. Do i have an answer for you? Not really, although i do have a belief in afterlife. I don't believe in 'heaven and hell'. My opinion is the spirit is free to go where it desires. But that's just an opinion. I would suggest you telephone the top men available within your own faith, then others such as catholic, hasidic jew, buddhist, hindu, unitarian and others in your area. It would likely broaden your mind to possibilities.

SS sending his condolences

• Thomas Poole
    Thomas Poole

Kevin,

In this life we are all just passing through. There was no calling for her, as such. She died and is just a step ahead of us at the moment. You loved and were loved. Be glad of that.

She would want you to be happy and find yourself a new day, a new life, and grow from what you temporarily shared with her.

Go to a local grave yard sometime and look at the tombs there. You might see Jack, Janice, Tory, Belinda, Gertrude, and so forth. They were all loved by someone at sometime. Be thankful that she existed and you also do now. She exists now in another place.

We all exists as a mind, body, and spirit. She just no longer has her earthly body. Go to the mirror and look at yourself. What you see is not really you. It is merely a containment vessel for your mind and your spirit. If you lost your arms and legs, you still are you as a mind and spirit.

So, plan your life now with humble dependence upon the God of the Bible. Wait and pray for understanding as you might find it. Again,

WE ARE ALL JUST PASSING THROUGH KEVIN
  • Prisca
    Prisca

Um, Thomas, Kevin's partner was a "he", not a "she".

(((((kevin)))))

I still believe in God, but I don't believe that God "calls" us to heaven. We all die for one reason or another, whether it be old age, sickness or by accident. If God takes our souls to heaven after our death, then I'm sure he has some purpose for us then. If he doesn't, then I am sure our souls live on somewhere, for some purpose.

• gotcha
    gotcha

hey kev i'm so sorry for you loss. if you'd like to hear another pt of view...i would just like to share stuff i learned in our philo classes..actually death is used as a starting point in finding the 'infinite' it's coz death reminds us that even tho the person is not around there's this infinite capacity to love the person...a love which surpasses even death...this infinite capacity to love is maybe imprinted in us by that infinite source of love...im not sure if i remember it right but that's the philosophy of gabriel marcel.
    like u i dont know if faith is good/bad. anyways do take care of yourself.

• Bang
    Bang

Maybe it is you who is being called to a higher purpose Kevin. The love of your life could not be in kinder hands.
    It is that now you may pursue what you are meant to, before you, like all of us, also pass on. In a short while I will also leave here.

Bang

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Kevin,

I feel the belief in an immortal soul and a happy afterlife creeping up on me. Can't prove it or suggest any way to replicate my experience, but there it is. I can see into "heaven" (or parts of it) when I'm sufficiently relaxed. But I've been "told" that what I see isn't necessarily what anyone else would see, looking in the same direction.

if the lifestyle my love was leading was so adverse to God's commandments, then why would he want to call him to a higher purpose?
    You're assuming god and Fundamentalist interpretations of the Bible have anything to do with each other :) It seems probable to me that JonJon was living just as The Very Real would have wished.

I don't think heaven is a reward so much as a safety net. We aren't so much "called to heaven" as caught by it when we fall out of the world.

I am convinced that the universe is somehow alive and awake and loves each of us, no matter how we suffer or how much we suffer.

And sometimes I think death is a failure of god.

Gently Feral

• mommy
    mommy

Kevin
    My 7 year old daughter has a prognosis of just a few more years. Her lifestyle is carefree, and fun loving, yes she sins, but don't all kids To say that death is a punishment for the way you lived your life is incomprehensible to me. Because of the very fact that so many young children do nothing at all but live in pain, yet they still die.

I find it hard to comprehend an afterlife, I am not sure yet if I even believe in one. This is life then we die To say that this is only a path until we reach everlasting life, well we need to change the definitions around a bit, don't ya think?

I am in the mindset that you must live everyday as if it is your last. You must say everything you want to say, and do everything you want to do. Have no regrets! If you can lay there on your deathbed and say I did everything I wanted to do, and touched as many souls as I could...then you have accomplished life.

I was a christian for many, many years, I prayed to a god in heaven and it eased my mind. When I realized that I was praying to ease my mind, I looked at it differently. I wondered who I was praying to, and why was he not answering me. If I gave my all to him, why does he still take from me? Have I not learned my lesson? Why does he demand so much? Is our happiness not enough? Our living our lives in harmony with our conscience should be enough for a father don't you think? I would be thrilled if my children told me on their deathbed, that they were content and happy with everything they did. No guilt, no shame, no remorse.

((((hugs)))) and may your heart have peace
    love,
    wendy

When I leave, you will know I have been here

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit