Unmissable Video by ex-cult Member

by Gladring 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Gladring
    Gladring

Jill Mytton left a religious cult as a young adult, and now helps counsel people who are struggling with life after leaving cult environments. She was interviewed for Richard Dawkins' series "Root of all Evil?". This video is the full uncut footage of the original interview.

I know there are some out there with a negative view of Dawkins, but please keep an open mind. This interview does not discuss belief in god, just the effect of strict religious upbringings.

Many of the things discussed are highly relevant for those of us who have experienced similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXA7GA9yntc

Enjoy!

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

I've watched it. Yes, it's quite long but its so interesting that it doesn't feel almost an hour in length. It's very good and at the end of the day is the experience of someone who isn't a JW. The comparision is very strong but because it isn't a dub, jws might also be willing to watch it and maybe it trigger something in them.

Hey I can hope, can't I?

• besty
    besty

http://www.theexclusivebrethren.com/god-christian.html

started in 19th century

own translation of the bible

reject military service

trace their leadership back through Wycliffe

information and milieu control with shunning for dissenters

belief have they restored pure Christianity

yep the Jehovahs Witnesses are definitely unique :-)

• choosing life
  • Gladring
    Gladring

Thanks for the bump choosing life!

oh,

and bump.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Thanks. I haven't had a chance to watch all of it yet but will continue viewing it later.

One thing that really struck a chord with me was where she said she withdrew to a fantasy world of her own at the metting room. I did that myself as a child in the meetings. There are just some things that are too horrifying for children's minds to cope with.

MM.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit