Sign of the times

by whereami 6 Replies latest jw friends

• whereami
    whereami

Found this interesting. Will the WTS do the same? NOT!!!

"A Catholic priest in Nashville, Tennessee, couldn't wait for the U.S. government's promised stimulus plan to help his struggling parishioners, so he started his own. Rev. Joseph Breen of St. Edward church handed out more than $100,000 from reserve funds and donations he had received for benevolent purposes. He gave the money to families of children attending the local school, at $250 per child. "I told them it's their money -- use it as they like," Breen told Reuters."

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE50D1B120090114 Full Story.

• inkling
    inkling

Holy crap... a Christ-like Catholic????

• StAnn
    StAnn

I read a story, hopefully I can find it, of a protestant pastor who was disgusted with the lack of earnings on the monies the church had invested. He gave it to his parishioners and asked them to do their best with it.

Kids bought supplies for carwashing, etc., and donated the proceeds to the church. Some people bought lawnmowers, etc., and mowed yards and gave the profits back to the church. People did all kinds of things and they kept the church going.

Sometimes investing in people is the best way to go.

StAnn

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

That's a pretty cool story StAnn.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And the Washtowel Slaveholdery wants everyone to donate their whole paychecks to the headquarters, so they can use it to protect pedophiles and buy out the world governments, plunging the whole world into the Second Dark Ages.

Looks like the Establishment is going to be favorable for that to happen.

• hihopes2008
    hihopes2008

How do I get my 250 :)

• eyes wide shut
    eyes wide shut

Mat 7:15-23 talks about false prophets. In referring to identifying the true followers of Christ vv 20 says: "Therefore by their fruits you will know them."

It doesn't say "by their theological bible understanding". I always thought it strange that JW's have zero interest in the world we live in. They have no organized effort in any way toward almsgiving or charity. Using the scripture above and surrounding verses points JW's as false prophets and apostate's.

What a fine example this Catholic priest is for Christ. He can do this because he is not connected to an authoritarian structure like the JW's are. If a JW elder tried to do this he probably would be counseled not to get involved with worldly affairs.

I went to ask my dad one day if he would sign up with me to do a United Way outreach one Saturday as it was volunteer signup at my job. He said, "No, as JW's we are not suppose to be involved in those worldly organizations". I thought to myself, "his attitude is about as "worldly" as it gets". Not helping others is a sin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit