What's in your future? A miserable old age? Something for JWs to think about?

by fulltimestudent 5 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

During the second half of the twentieth century, retirees generally found that they could afford a reasonable standard of living. All except mugs like me who had an implicit belief in the biblical promises highlighted in the Watchtower. I'm not complaining about my lot, I take personal responsibility for my decisions to believe the rubbish in the bible, and by keeping on working during what would normally be retirement years I live OK. But it's no thanks at all to the Yahweh/Jesus combo god who filled my head with a pack of lies.

So what about witnesses these days? I've got no idea at all how much planning ahead witnesses are doing for their old age these days, but if they're still believing that Armageddon is only a few years away, as was a popular thought when I was young, then the forecast is that they are in for a miserable old age.

In Australia, which has a tax funded old age pension system, the government is warning that they will have to progressively lower the payments in the future. I imagine that it's a similar situation in the UK. And, for any witness today who thinks that the solution lies in the kingdom ruling the earth, before they get old - just consider that from the 1870's (the first predictions by Russell) until now is nearly 150 years of predictions that did not come true.

But worse is to come. Financial projections demonstrate that life in western countries is going to get harder.

(See, this article: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_Economy/GECON-01-190315.html )

So, if anyone is thinking of relying on Jesus' kingdom for a retirement benefit - think again and start planning for a cash-strapped future.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I've got no idea at all how much planning ahead witnesses are doing for their old age these days, but if they're still believing that Armageddon is only a few years away, as was a popular thought when I was young, then the forecast is that they are in for a miserable old age.

I find it quite interesting that the "younger" (30s/40s) JWs that I know around here ARE planning for their retirement. Yep. IRAs. Pension contributions. 401(K)s. They really are not living like they believe Armageddon is right around the corner.

And even as hard as the Borg is on higher education, lots of kids going on to college after high school. Nurses. Paramedics. Teachers. IT work.

Doc

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I notice that my JW daughters are both very much planning for retirement " in This System of Things". I am , of course, very happy that some common sense has rubbed off on them:

- they must have drawn a lesson from what is happening now to their Dad, who once actually believed the bull$h*t in that 1969 Awake about "never growing old in This System", and as a consequence donated his retirement savings to the WTS.

At least they are not going to make that mistake!

Bill.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Thnx guys, if the two examples indicate a general attitude, then it says a lot about the religion today.

I imagine that the burning zeal that once consumed us (so that we would be like Jesus) has gone.

I thought I was seeing something missing as I watched the trolley dollies, witnessing by sitting on their arses, yawning. If knocking on the doors of not-at-homes was boring, then shepherding a literature trolley must be infinitely more boring.

It's just another Christian brand, full of excuses as to why Jesus has not yet come (Luke 21:32)

• a watcher
    a watcher
    I'm managing to cobble together a decent retirement at the last minute. I think I'll be OK.
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

If I had been planning ahead instead of preaching what the washtowel taught, I could have invested significantly more in silver back when it was between 4 and 5 toilet papers an ounce. Back then, you could buy a silver quarter for slightly more than a toilet paper, instead of 4 toilet papers as today. You could have bought a roll of silver quarters (Washington, recent dates, Fine or better condition) for around 40-50 toilet papers instead of the 150-170 it costs today.

Additionally, with all the work shifts I sacrificed because of boasting sessions, I could have bought several rolls of silver quarters--or even more had I been able to move up. Beyond the donations for a$$emblies and for littera-trash, which cost me several more rolls of quarters. The amount I donated toward a new building (and got nothing but bad luck for my money) could have bought me five rolls of silver quarters or halves, and just being charged for rides cost me three silver quarters per week.

When the dollar becomes toilet paper, all that silver would have helped me live easier. Instead of what I have now, I could have had closer to 2,000 or 3,000 ounces. If the price of silver reaches the equivalent of 7,000 [1/2014] toilet papers per ounce in value, that would be enough to be rich. Even if it rises enough so a 1/10 ounce silver denarius would be a full day's wages, that would be enough to retire on unless I live past 130. I will have to make do with a measly 880 ounces--which, though more than I would have had if I would have stayed a jokehovian witless, it is still well below what I could have had.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit