What do you believe about Hell?

by JimmyPage 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

To go along with my Trinity thread, I don't believe in Hellfire, probably because of my JW upbringing (and common sense). I have no problem with the idea of an immortal soul or a heavenly hope but the idea of people being tortured forever seems just silly. So, what is your view of Hell?

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

My idea of Hell..that my body will die and my brain won't...can you just imagine?....

Snoozy..shuttering...

• parakeet
    parakeet

I just posted this on startingover's thread. There I quoted from memory, but now have looked it up and the correct version is:

" The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. " John Milton [a Christian]

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Good quote, Parakeet. BTTT

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

It's a good curse word...weaker than s__t and f__k, so good for situations where a mild expletive is called for. I particularly enjoy using the phrase "hell's bells" to express frustration over some unanticipated setback or obstacle. LOL

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Hell is one of the biggest scams ever pulled (I believe "Original Sin" is the biggest). When you die, you are supposed to go there if you do not believe in Christ or you attempt to save people from wasting their time going to church.

For starters, when you die, either you become a disembodied spirit or you simply cease to exist as a conscious being at all. If you cease to exist, it does no good to burn forever, since you would not feel it. That would be a complete waste of hellfire, and thus not an effective punishment. About all it would do is sanitize your body.

If you become a spirit, you would not be affected by temperature. Heat causes suffering because it physically cooks the flesh. The nerves send pain signals, and that is what causes the suffering. If you become a disembodied spirit at death, this cannot happen--without flesh to cook, you are not going to suffer, no matter how hot it gets. As such, hellfire ceases to be a punishment--temperature becomes more like color. Plus, without God getting in the way, you would actually be able to create your own paradise (which would make Satan happy, since some good is being done without any "help" from that Almighty Lowlife Scumbag).

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Hell is like when your parents tell you that the Boogie Man is under your bed and if you get OUT of bed again, he is going to GRAB YOU and EAT YOU. And you dont dare get out of bed because you dont want to test that theory. What if theyre RIGHT?? But you cant SEE him there...but what if he only comes out in darkness? What if he only appears when your FOOT hits the ground?

So you are scared into submission because of a "what if".

There is no hell. There is no heaven either. There is no magical place out there waiting for our souls to float up to it. And no place of eternal punishment for us either. But you gotta admit...its been a pretty effective tool for controlling the masses all these millenia.

• bob1999
    bob1999

Revelation 20:10-15 talks about the lake of fire where Satan will be "tormented day and night for ever and ever".

It's not clear whether or not condemned man will be there. This is do to the word "were" near the end of verse 10. And the concept that man is consumed by that fire. Satan is clearly not consumed.

So, according to the bible hell does exist, at least for Satan.

Peace

• dogon
    dogon

Heaven, hell, Valhalla, elysian fields, narvana,Styx. All cultures have a place that is better and worse than where we are now. It is the creation of men who want to believe in something after this life. I do not believe there is anything else. There is no proof that there is anything, and if there was a god don’t you think he could write a better book than the Bible? It is a bad piece of literature. It would not make the top one hundred books of any year but for the fact the people buy is in a whipped up frenzy of zealous idiocy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit