Loosened up or Double-Life?

by XxJazzxX 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• XxJazzxX
    XxJazzxX

As I was interested in knowing the Watchtower's history, plus hearing testimonies, it would see that back in the 1950s or as far as ex-JWs can remember that things were alot stricter. Meetings 5 days a week, Field Service is needed to stay in good standing, etc.

Nowadays, since I hang out with one of my JW brother-in-laws, I cant help but to wonder...Is today's technological generation taking its tool on the WTBTS or are JWs accepting it without taking the 'dangers' into consideration? Take these for examples...

1."Thou Shall Not Steal." Yet, young JWs are downloading music, videos & movies illegally just like the rest of the world.

2."Stay Away From Apostate Material!" Yet, the internet would be considered a HUGE deal to avoid it at all costs(especially web sites like youtube where you'll see devout JWs insulting others for their faith AND looking at the so-called 'Apostate Material' they should be avoiding)

3. You see ex-JW celebrities(Michael Jackson converts to Islam & changes name to Mikaeel) and JW celebrities who arent embracing enough JW-ism(The Williams sisters)

4. JWs, like my wife and my in-laws, havent been going into Field Service in some months & years due to work and college. I wonder if they are in good standing because the Elders doesnt say anything about it.

5. JOBS(My Father-in-law is a truck driver thinking about quitting to become a real estate agent, my mother-in-law is a LPN making good money, BOTH my brother-in-laws are in college, and my wife is a CNA going to school for Surgical Tech.

6. Marriage! I have a JW aunt who has been through 3 divorces(2 of them were non-JW, and the other were a JW, but a closet pedophile who sexually harrassed one of her sons), got DFed and re-instated TWICE, Shes about to get married to a JW guy who her sister liked(AND STILL LIKES) since childhood, practically stole the dude from her sister!

Technically, the whole "We're better than you because we have 'The Truth" attitude I dont get because from what I see, they act just like everyone else in this world. But judging from this time period and the previous ones, it looks like the Elders and the WTBTS are just either letting stuff slide or just dont care. But at the same time, they putting my wife thru hell by not re-instating her and shes practically about to give up trying.

Or could it be that JWs like my in-laws KNOW what they're not supposed to do and just doing it anyway. Or it could be a little bit of both

Any thoughts anyone...?

BONUS QUESTION: I asked my wife this but didnt get a straight answer as usual, Why the change to 2 meetings a week? If they are so adament about Armageddon, why consider making it easier for people to attend meetings?

• yknot
    yknot

My understanding from both JWs and other fundies is that the US went to hell in a handbasket when the blue laws were stuck down.

Since then moral decay has spread........

Most do not consider it 'stealing' either but rather 'file sharing'....... strong focus on the communal sharing aspect (just like in the New Systemâ„¢)

As for the rest it really is dependent tone set by Elders.

There are liberal KHs and primative KHs.

Bonus Question....... because it was a trade off between factioned GB. It also gets the R&F slackers to the TMS/SM part of the meeting where it will make them look weak for not being enrolled in the school and force them to listen to the SM and hopefully guilt them into donating.

• XxJazzxX
    XxJazzxX

I agree...I guess even the WT cant prevent ALL the moral decay from its members.

Yea, about the liberal KH and primative KHs...I overheard a convo my wife and her mother were having about the differences between the KH they go to now between the KH they used to go to before they moved. The KH area they used to go to i guess had more class. Meaning you would even see Elders riding in new top of the line cars. Compare that to the KH they go to now is a bit more wholesome.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

In some congregations guys wear necklaces to get togethers and no one bats an eye. Try that in other congs and you'd be accused of looking worldly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit