Anybody watch the premiere of "Lie To Me" on FOX tonight?

by pseattle2 2 Replies latest jw friends

• pseattle2
    pseattle2

One of the stories revolved around a Witness-raised teenager accused of killing a high school teacher. Interesting, pretty accurate portrayal of Jehovah's Witness parents, with a couple of flubs (they said "The Lord" instead of what they'd really say, "Jehovah God").

The parents were, however, described as being outcast or criticized by their own congregation for being somewhat extremist and isolationist in their views. I couldn't buy that the congregation would criticize any such parents for being so devout about their views; I'd think they'd be pillars in the org.

The kid also said "I swear to God" which I was explicitly told I should never utter when I was a Dub.

Very good show, otherwise. I won't spoil it for you.

--P

• shamus100
    shamus100

It was terrible, IMO. Not my cup of tea at all. I did paperwork while it was on in the background.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Yeah, they missed on a couple of things. At one point, the kid said he'd "prayed for [the teacher's] soul," which a JW wouldn't say. And although they referred to the "overseer" of the congregation, there's no way one would say the stuff about the family being "too extreme."

And they didn't say "Jehovah God" like JWs would. But the father did say that the boy's photography was "taking time away from doing God's work."

I'd guess that the writer was at least around JWs enough to get some of the basics, anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit