by thebigdebate 8 Replies latest jw friends

• thebigdebate
    thebigdebate

Would the average JW think that the number of 144,00 was a literal number, even if the partakers were over 144,000?

Or would they just go with what the GB says?

I think that they would say that it is figurative literal number. I could see "figurative literal number" being a term used in a watchtower.

thebigdebate

• thebiggestlie
    thebiggestlie

evey other number in the book of revelation is symbolic

the 12 tribes are symbolic according to watchtower teaching

yet the number 144k is somehow literal

never made much sense to me

tbl

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

figurativly literal just doesn't work. I don't think the society is that stupid. Don't get me wrong - they stupid at the best of times......but then again I may be wrong.

• wobble
    wobble

I suppose it would be fun to have a thread of oxymorons that they could use to further cloud the fact that their exegesis is downright wacky throughout.

I do think this is another doctrine in trouble for them,along with 1914,the generation etc, etc. but they will "explain" it all somehow and the R&f will swallow it all as usual.

Love

Wobble

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

The average JW will accept whatever explanation the WT gives and go along with any changes, supressing any doubts they may have with thoughts like, "wait on Jehovah" or "where else would we go?" and so forth.

If they have become disillusioned somehow, they will notice whatever contradiction is most immediately in front of them and use it to find their way out. That's the nature of cults IMO.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

The WT's own reasoning doesn't make any sense!! How do 2 figurative numbers = 1 literal number? That doesn't make any logical sense.

- Wing Commander

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

WTF? How the heck can you have a figurative literal number?

They just go with whatever the GB says.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The WT's own reasoning doesn't make any sense!! How do 2 figurative numbers = 1 literal number? That doesn't make any logical sense.

It is called New Light Math.

• shamus100
    shamus100

New light changes with whatever fits they're agenda. It's the cornerstone of the WTBTS Incorporated.

And when you're dealing with what I believe is a story book, it can go either ways. The bible seems quite bi-sexual at times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit