Not so ever much on the NT

(I'll keep the Gods (gods) name thing

out of this conversation maybe)

Any thoughts

Anyone??

I appreciate them all

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Probably because every translation is an interpretation of the original text. Even though many Greek/Hebrew words have an equivalent in modern languages, we lack the sociocultural luggage to translate them accurately. Instead of including contextual factors, many have forced their own interpretation to the text.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yes, a combination of issues with the text itself and the inherent imperfections with translation. You should take a look at Bart Ehrman's Misquoting Jesus for a look at the former. As for the latter, the philological training, experience, and personal bias (as well as literary skill) of the translator matter a great deal.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

As a rule of thumb, when whole verses, sentences, or names/titles (such as "God," "Jesus," "Christ") seem to be missing in a relatively new translation (from the 20th or 21th century) as compared to an older or traditional one (like the KJV or NKJV), this is usually a textual issue, and the more recent and shorter translation has a good chance of reflecting an older reading, as found in the earliest available manuscripts. Iow, the charge of willful and unwarranted omission in a recent Bible (including the NWT) is generally wrong.

When something seems to be added this is often a case of overtranslation (a rather frequent flaw in the NWT), usually extrapolating from a lexicon definition or explanation (which may be correct in some contexts, yet not a valid translation, and certainly not to be applied to any context).

When nothing seems to be missing or added but the wording (and possibly meaning) is simply different each case must be assessed on its own merits.

• Perry
    Perry

I am putting together a website addressing this very thing:

www.wordfamine.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit