Singing at JW funerals

by keyser soze 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

My sister's husband passed away last week, and the funeral was last Saturday. After the typical commercial for the WTS, the speaker invited those in the audience to join in singing song #15(Life Without End at Last). They passed out lyrics to the song to those without songbooks. They have done this at the last three JW funerals I have gone to. I don't remember ever singing at them before that. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong.

I found the whole thing to be rather awkward and presumptuous, given the fact that there were many in attendance who weren't JWs. I also found it extremely hypocritical, considering most JWs would never set foot in another church, much less join in singing one of their hymns.

• Marjorie
    Marjorie

Oh Keyser, such sad news. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

Was your BIL baptised?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Oh Keyser, such sad news. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

Was your BIL baptised?

Thanks. He was a ministerial servant. He was a pretty cool guy as JWs go. He had a wicked sense of humor. It wasn't a complete shock, as his health had been deteriorating in recent years. What was truly sad was watching a person who had been very active, and loved being outside, confined to staying at home, when he wasn't in the hospital, that is.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings KS,

Sorry for your sister's & your loss if you were close.

You the the nail on the head though "After the typical commercial for the WTS" . Watchtower makes me sick.

Dismembered

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

K/S..Sorry for your loss..My best to you and your sister..............."#15(Life Without End at Last)."..What a dumb ass song to sing at a funeral!....................Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I'm sorry for your loss. Love and strength to you and your family.

Love,
    Baba.

• White Dove
    White Dove

When my friend died in an accident and they had the memorial for her, they played that song. At the time, I thought it was fitting and comforting to be reminded of the hope of seeing her again. Her sister, a teenager, sang it. No one else sang it.

• loosie
    loosie

Sorry for your loss. I've never sang at a JW furneral. But I went to a Lutheran furneral and they sang a couple of songs. So maybe the JW's are becoming more mainstream.

• crapola
    crapola

I think Witness funerals are very embarrassing. For one thing , the talk is so not for non-JW's and if there are family members there who are'nt JW's then it's very tiring to set through a talk and listen to what you don't believe to begin with.As for singing, in our area, the last few I've attended there was just music and no singing.I've played the piano at many funerals and am so glad I no longer have to do that. I honestly don't know how I did that.

But I'm really sorry for your loss.

• Gram
    Gram

Really, the JW funerals are the worst. I have been to many. The singing is rather new (I last attended one 4 years ago) and the song mentioned was copied and passed out for everyone to "sing" or follow along with. Those who sang were lackluster and it was not a feeling of uplifting or a celebration of one's life. It was dreary. Of course the "canned" music does not add any personality or emotion to it either.

On the other hand, I recently attended a funeral held in a "non-denominational" church which left everyone smiling and happy...lots of great rememberances of the person, video, singing and even a live, tastefully performed dance by 3 professional dancers to an old-time Southern Spiritual.

I too played the piano for weddings and funerals at the KH, it seems like a lifetime ago. Crap(ola) I also, don't know how I ever did that!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit