Conspiricy Theory!!

by SickofLies 8 Replies latest jw friends

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

So I have a friend who has introduced me to a number of interesting documentaries, at first I found many of them quite interesting and I enjoyed hearing their points. However, lately I've become concerned because he seems to have gotten into all these conspiracy theories such as 'chemtrails' 'illuminati' 'New World Order', on top of the usual 9/11 theories and the like. Now this is a fairly intelligent person like myself and is also an ex-JW. However, I am concerned that this new obsession represents nothing but another form of religion since all these ideas to me seem like plain paranoid banter with no evidence. I have tried to reason with him on this matter and have even asked him to simply stop trying to show me these films and push these ideas on me and he can simply go on believing what he wishes. However, he is quite instant that I watch these retarded films like 'Big Brother the Big Picture' (try and Google it and you'll see what I'm talking about) and others like it.

Am I going to have to avoid this person or is there another line of reasoning I can try to make him see the fallacy of his beliefs or to at the very least make him keep them to himself???

• asilentone
    asilentone

nothing is showing right now.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-4799447112501062338

Here's a link to the video I mentioned, although that's not the issue I'm mainly concerned about.

• John Doe
    John Doe

The problem with the paranoid conspiracy theorist is that any action you take will only boister his delusions. If you watch them, he'll view that as validation of his beliefs. If you denounce them, he'll view that as confirmation of your being "spoon fed" by the "main stream media" and the self righteous sense of superiority he gets from being one up on you will further bolster his views. The only way to handle this type is to smile, nod, and go on with your life.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

Thanks John, unfortunately I have to agree with your assesment of this situation. There is no point in having further conversations about these subjects with this person since it will only lead to arguments and frustration.

• Anator
    Anator

Sorry, but I can't read it. Is that the conspiricy?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

OK I agree

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

If there are a bunch of conspiracies, and everyone seems to know about them, the conspirators have completely FAILED.

The people behind them are a bunch of incompetent boobs who can't keep a secret.

The first thing I ask these conspiracy people is: Ok, so who are these people? Show me one! Give me a name and solid proof.

No one has EVER been able to do that.

• valkyrie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit