A Jehovah Witness serves as Civil Servant in Government Institution – What has changed in WT Policy?

by Nick! 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nick!
    Nick!

A Jehovah Witness serves as Civil Servant in Government Institution – What has changed in WT Policy?

According to the “New Liberian” (see link http://newliberian.com/?p=558#more-558 )an alleged Jehovah Witness, Mr. Andrew Togba Davies, a consummate professional, (who) indeed devoted his entire adult life to public service, working in various capacities as a Christian Minister, lawyer, educator, diplomat, and national security professional, passed away on January 3, 2009, in Monrovia, Liberia. He was 71.

The article specifies that “He was a devout Christian who, on December 19, 1969, after an ardent course of Bible study, dedicated his life to Jehovah and served faithfully as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses until his death.”

The article continues by saying “In 1982, he began his diplomatic service as the Liberian Special Maritime Representative to the United States. In that capacity, he worked tirelessly to secure greater Liberian participation in and control of the business and revenue generating arms of the National Maritime Program. After a period of exile in the United States following the outbreak of the Liberian Civil War, Mr. Davies returned to Liberia where he again took up government service, including serving with the Liberian Truth and Reconciliation Commission.”

Funerals will take place on January 24 th , 2009. The article specifies that “Mr. Davies will be buried in Monrovia, Liberia, January 24, 2009. Funeral services will be held at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Paynesville, Liberia.”

Never heard that a Jehovah Witness served the government as civil servant in a public office and was still considered as a Witness up to his death AND burial service in the Kingdom Hall!

Has something changed with the WT policy on joining worldly institutions since their active membership as NGO of the UN?

Nick!

• Pallbearer
    Pallbearer

It's not unusual for JWs to be employed by the government . For example, mailmen are government employees also.

• steve2
    steve2

My understanding is that if, before becoming a JW an individual has taken an oath to serve in some civil service, he/she can continue after becoming a witness. I guess there would be some civil service roles that would be incompatible with the witnesses' belief system, though.

I heard of a couple of instances where JWs in good standing served as police officers - because that was their line of work before becoming witnesses - so there was no problem with their having taken an oath to serve their respective communities. On the other hand, I never knew directly of any JW who served as a police officer.

• blondie
    blondie

jws have to avoid governmental departments that have to do with making policy (state department) or military to avoid neutrality conflicts.

*** w90 11/1 pp. 20-21 par. 16 The Role of the Superior Authorities ***The fact that the superior authorities are God’s minister explains why Daniel, the three Hebrews, Nehemiah, and Mordecai were able to accept responsible positions in the Babylonian and Persian governments. They could thus appeal to the authority of the State for the good of God’s people. (Nehemiah 1:11; Esther 10:3; Daniel 2:48, 49; 6:1, 2) Today some Christians also work in government service. But since they are separate from the world, they do not join political parties, seek political office, or accept policy-making positions in political organizations.
  • Nick!
    Nick!

Quoting an exrept of the above article ...

In 1982, he began his diplomatic service as the Liberian Special Maritime Representative to the United States. In that capacity, he worked tirelessly to secure greater Liberian participation in and control of the business and revenue generating arms of the National Maritime Program.

Thank you Blondie for quoting the w90 11/1 pp.20-21.
    This article, however, although not excluding a role working in a government for a witness, specifically excludes a position as policy-maker (“
    accept policy-making positions in political organizations”).

I would assume that, being baptized in 1969 but accepting in 1982 a position in a program to “control … the business and revenue generating arms of the National Maritime” is a “policy-making” position of the government, therefore of a given political organization, as it would be strange that a “government position” is not to be considered a “political organization”!

In addition, doing this 13 years after being baptized excludes the claim that, to reply to Steve2 comments, “that was their line of work before becoming witnesses”!

This is why this whole thing seems very strange to me.

Nick!

• blondie
    blondie

I would find a tactful way of addressing this question to the WTS...it is their rule book isn't it? I'm never surprised at the hypocrisy of the WTS, but I don't feel that every government job is out of the question for a jw to hold.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I work for the government - in the ministry of finance. Leading position. Never have had any problems with that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit