My mom's latest

by JWdaughter 6 Replies latest jw friends

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Ok, she isn't talking to me. I got this from the sister that she DOES talk to.

So, the other day, mentioning that she will soon be laid off(which will be hard for her), she tells my visiting from out of town sister that since she is going to be home, she would adopt a dog and take in a foster child. While my sister stood there with her mouth hanging open(My mom is over 65!) my mom looks at her and tells her, "you look just like B.(sis's husband) sounded when I told him on the phone last night. He said to me "Jan are you out of your ever loving mind?" (I love my BIL dearly, btw). "No one is going to let you foster a child and you keep taking dogs and then getting rid of them." (She has given away 3 dogs in the last 3-4 years, we have one of them).

In any case, she thinks that she can foster a child! She won't even speak to me, and she lives up 20 steep stairs on the side of a hill with about 600 sq. ft. total. She gets anxious when any kid leaves a toy out. She is insane. OH, and she wants a dog too. In that house, with a child!

Please tell me they won't allow her to foster a child! I don't even think a responsible breeder would let her adopt a dog!

Kids drive her nuts. She doesn't really like them past the age of 2. She is an alcoholic. She drives while drinking-cause she knows her limit, don't you know! She would do it for the income (don't you want HER taking care of the next generation?)

I am ranting, I know. Just thought you should be warned of what is going through the minds of one JW of retirement age.

• Marjorie
    Marjorie

Your mom sounds lonely. However, that can be remedied by keeping in touch with the children that she has now - all of them.

Your mother's local CWS agency will run a thorough background check, before they even consider placing a child with her. Plus, they do take into account such things as the age of the foster parent, and multiple pet replacements within a given time period. If you feel that she is really going through with this, a word to the CWS agency would not be amiss. You can explain the situation to them, and request that they list you as "Anonymous" in her paperwork.

I realize that this is a sensitive topic, and if I've written anything that makes you uncomfortable, I do apologize. IMHO, it just doesn't make any sense to take on the responsibility of fostering other people's children, while refusing to deal with the ones that you yourself have brought into the world. Plus, we don't need any more children abused by the Society's teachings.

• Marjorie
    Marjorie

JWD, does your mother own a computer? If so, perhaps she might consider working at home.

Arise is a company that helps people start up a home based business. You can work in either customer service, sales or tech support. The minimum amount of hours that one has to commit to is 15 hours a week. Maybe this might help your mom with her finances.

The website is http://www.arise.com/Content/default.asp

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Your mom will be screened before they will give her a foster child..It`s unlikely they will give a 65yr old alcoholic,that lives in a 600sq ft apartment,a child..Baby 3...............Worry about the Dog!..Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• delilah
    delilah

Your mom sounds a bit like my mom, being of retirement age and an alcoholic.....but my mom has never really had much to do with my kids, even now that they're older....and thank god she would never think of adopting..

I feel for you !!

I would definitely call the CWS too!!

• shamus100
    shamus100

I can't see her having a foster child, although things are much different in the states from where I live. The key word is background checks, background checks, background checks. 65 years old... hmmm... right. She's doing it for the money, and from what I've heard from having foster kids, it's hard, hard money.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

She is looney, no one is hurting my feelings with the same observation that my sis and I frequently make about her:)

I am concerned that she actually thinks it is possible, and also because I know how hurting the foster care system is (Remember that Eunice woman in England?). They are frequently advertising how much ANYONE (no matter age or disability!) can 'love' a child and has something to offer a foster child. Her cottage at the top of the steep stairway would probably eliminate her before her age would,IMO. My sis and BIL were granted emergency foster licence when they were chosen to adopt by a parent before the state paperwork was completed. They deserved it. But the foster care system went on a LOT of faith with that one.

Not sure who to call, but I really think I should try to nip it in the bud.

We have looked into other types of jobs-mom isn't interested in anything that requires initiative. She has had the same min. wage level job for 20 years now. Driving cars for rental agency. Literally, the only reason she gets raises is when the state raises the min. wage rate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit