Bartending is art, not science [bitters]

by Nathan Natas 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I was recently reading a book about Trader Vic's Tiki drinks and it defined a "dash" as one and one half teaspoons. Later in the book I found a recipe that called for two dashes of bitters in a single-serving drink.

That's freakin' PREPOSTEROUS! Three teaspoons is one-half ounce. I doubt there are many people who could drink a potion with that much bitters in it.

I define bitters by the drop. Generally, one or two drops of Angostura or Peychaud's bitters is plenty for my palate. Of the two brands, I prefer Peychaud's.

There are about 560 drops (OK, call it 600 like everyone else does) in one ounce. A different on-line bartending reference says that a dash is 1/32 of a teaspoon, which would make it about three drops. I think that bartender had his thinking cap on.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

seems like many bartenders can screw up a beer...

I used to like Manhattans...Southern Comfort Manhattans... used to drink in a bar in Virginia ... old gal there had those to a art form... never found another that good.

Hill

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Mmmm, I'll bet that was good!

Something like:

1.5 oz. Southern Comfort

0.5 oz. sweet red vermouth

a couple drops of bitters (pick a number from one to three)

a glass filled with cracked ice

one maraschino cherry on top

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

thats the ticket... but there must be somthing to do with the spin of the earth or gravity or something... mixing drinks is an art!

Hill

Happy New Year NN

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

it is absolutely an art

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit