avishai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNj2BXW852g

Trying to figger out whether he's playing in open 'G' or open 'D'

• ninja
    ninja

nope....I play mine on the see-saw

• heathen
    heathen

avishai-- don't you play in a band around here in DFW area? Do you have a myspace where I can see show dates? Most slide payers just use regular tune , zz top and joe walsh is usually what they do .......

• avishai
    avishai

No, I just goof around, I'm living in OR right now. I wouldn't say "most slide players" play in standard (lots of great ones do/ did, duane allman, the guy from Skynyrd, etc. as well as the ones you mentioned) for instance, some types of slide, i.e dobro, Hawaiian steel, etc. pretty much require alternate tunings such as "dobro G" and "G wahine"

• heathen
    heathen

I screw around with it myself , not a serious musician or anything but just enjoy the creative outlet of it . You've mentioned some things I never heard of with the dobro G or G wahine. Yah the list goes on for standard tune players , led zeppelin , george thoroughgood ........

• avishai
    avishai

I think you might be surprised @ this list, I know I was!! Did'nt know Allman, Trucks, etc. sometimes used open tunings. Check it out!! Not trying to argue, BTW, I'm just a music nerd. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_tuning#Open_tunings

• heathen
    heathen

It always amazes me that there are people out there that love that kind of music , I have my own launch cast station with all kinds of oldies on it . Of course nobody really did it better than hendrix or stevie ray but there is allot of stuff they listened to and were inspired by that made them what they were.

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

trucks, duane allman and most blues slide players use open tunings. warren haynes uses standard tuning on most of his slide work. ben harper uses various open tunings. chris whitley made up tunings as far as i can figure! but most seemed to be open. have you ever heard of him? deceased, but great player and songwriter.

• avishai
    avishai

Chris Whitley kicked ass. Lemme switch to IE and I'll throw up some great slide

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit