Nov 15th 2008 WT Personal Comments

by mavie 3 Replies latest jw friends

• mavie
    mavie

I felt compelled to write something down after reading a bit of this article in the Nov 15th, 2008 WT.

Help Those Who Stray From the Flock

Paragraph 2

“Discouragement, health problems, or other factors may have weakened their zeal and caused them to become inactive.”

My zeal was never weakened and I never became inactive. I chose to leave a controlling religion I discovered to be using dishonest quotes in its published material.

An honest evaluation of my faith forced me to conclude differently than the Watchtower, nothing else.

“However, only as part of God's flock can they enjoy the serenity and happiness that David spoke of in the 23rd Psalm. For instance, he sang: "Jehovah is my Shepherd. I shall lack nothing." (Ps. 23:1)”

When I made the decision to leave, as painful as it was to lose every social tie I had depended on for my entire life including my family, I felt an immense sense of serenity and deep inner happiness. I was finally allowing myself to be who I was. I was acting in accord with all the information I had about how to live an ethical, responsible, and spiritual life.

Since that point this feeling has only deepened. Fulfilling my dream of attending college and acquiring a degree has been a source of deep joy. Viewing others as attempting to find happiness in their own, valid way, not as another soul to be saved, has also deepened this feeling of contentment and serenity for me. Happiness does exist beyond the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    “Discouragement, health problems, or other factors may have weakened their zeal and caused them to become inactive.”

What are some of those "other factors"? Like being continually set apart with all same-sex? I suppose that would eventually get to you, since that stops you from ever having any personal development (which they don't seem to get that personal development is essential if spiritual development is to continue). Or, getting sick of endless stupid rules that are nowhere in the Bible (or even in the Washtowels themselves).

Try this: Finding out that you have one or more pedophiles in the congregation. You find out, not from official sources, but because your child is one of their victims. You are forced to shut up about it, or risk a "slander" judicial hearing. And nothing ever gets done, as the pedophiles find victim after victim.

Or, having the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger make ridiculous demands. You cannot possibly do enough to get life, and you are supposed to do more than you can anyways. The ultimate is getting more than 200 hours of high quality field circus every month, and starting studies left and right. You have a night job, yet they expect you to waste all day in field circus and still make all the boasting sessions.

All of which are capable of creating discouragement and health problems. Not to mention that most people who go back are going to be even more miserable once they are back, especially after a few months, than they ever would have been had they just been left alone.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Mavie, my husband were not hit by any of these factors at the time we left. We have had health problems and discouragement but have weathered that. Our leaving came from a pretty healthy place, that is really puzzling and scary to our JW friends. They still ask just what the one problem is and when are we coming back. I really hate that they all assume I must have some diagnosable problem that they can cure. Congratulations on your new life!

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Congratulations on your new life.

You are living proof that WT claims about those who leave are nothing but lies!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit