Meetings canceled and double standard

by Iwonder17 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Iwonder17
    Iwonder17

I live ina cold area where meetings are canceled from time to time. I find it very funny that even the most "faithful" dubs sit in anticipation by the phone waiting for the call that the mtg has been canceled. you would think that they would be disappointed since one of their meals is being cut off ( or one of their fingers as the old illustration goes )

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I would think the logical thing to do is to decide not to go if it's not safe without someone telling you it's not safe.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And I would be pxxxed if the storm missed us or, worse, it hits and the damn "brother" shows up to pick me up anyways. I think their "We never cancel Jehovah's boasting sessions" attitude reflects contempt--we used to have one hounder that was like that.

I would cancel any boasting session if the total cost of holding and attending it exceeds the total real benefit. Which would mean canceling them all.

• crazycate
    crazycate

I mentioned this on another thread, but I think the great joy that greets an unexpected night or day off gives a lie to the idea that all these meetings aren't a burden. Jesus' yoke is kindly and his load is light, but most JWs (I believe) are exhausted. As I also mentioned elsewhere, when we would say that we feel so much better when we go, despite the headache, fatigue, or whatever, I think what we were feeling was the relief of not having to carry the guilt of not going.

Cat

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I mentioned this on another thread, but I think the great joy that greets an unexpected night or day off gives a lie to the idea that all these meetings aren't a burden. Jesus' yoke is kindly and his load is light, but most JWs (I believe) are exhausted. As I also mentioned elsewhere, when we would say that we feel so much better when we go, despite the headache, fatigue, or whatever, I think what we were feeling was the relief of not having to carry the guilt of not going.

Cat

so true,

• Iwonder17
    Iwonder17

Crazycate...YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD !!!!!!!! I never though of that but you are 100% correct

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

One night many years ago, there was a major snowstorm predicted for the area where I lived. Because of the forecasts, the elders made the decision to call the meeting off, but they waited so long to decide that half the congregation had already left for the Kingdom Hall. I got there at the same time as several others, and we were all sent away. What made it really cool was that the storm never hit - it veered off in another direction and we never had a flake of snow. So we got the evening off (mostly) without having to deal with an actual storm. After that, I believe the elders decided they would NEVER call off another meeting, no matter what, but would leave it to the individual brothers to decide whether it was safe to go or not. Which, of course, made anyone who decided not to brave a storm feel guilty.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

In the halls that I had attended it was pretty much understood that if the weather was TOO bad, stay home and be safe. Your call, not theirs. Unless of course you DID get a call to cancel. Just good old worldly COMMON SENSE!!!

NMG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit