Xmas story

by buffalosrfree 7 Replies latest jw friends

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

When in the borg, my wife and I were invited to this elder's house for a bite of supper on Xmas eve. We went over there and guess what, turkey dinner with all the trimmings and just a hint of the orient thrown in. Supper was great, we talked about life in the service, both of us were retired military. We himmed and hawned about various things and good time. However while there one of his grown children made a comment about getting a camera and getting some pictures. When asked which one to get, reply was to get the one you gave me earlier when we exchanged gifts.

It was one of those things that make you go HUMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

And guess what on the 26th we were invited to a turkey dinner with all the trimmings too.

Seemed to by a lot of turkey and hypricosy being served then, and things still haven't changed. I Suppose. Buff

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Hello Buff,

Good to see again.

That kinda stuff has been going on for a long time in Borg. My mother long time partaker of wine & crackers, would cook a turkey dinner on Thanksgiving Day with the excuse that turkey was cheap and everyone had a day off.

I always liked it as a kid, I could then give an honest answer when someone asked me 'how was your turkey day?'.

Sounds like things are loosening up even more nowadays.

Danny

• rekless
    rekless

yeah, and one of these days our families who won't speake to us now will say, " See if only those who ran ahead had stayed with Jehovahs' Organization we all could be celebrating the holidays together. Isn't the org. wonferful, see how with time, neww light opens understanding about all things we use to question."

just a moment in the future.

dan

• freeman
    freeman

Hello Buff,

More or less the same thing happened to me and my then girlfriend (now wife) when we were studying. We were not baptized at the time and it was going to be our first Xmas eve in the “truth”. Our study conductor invited us to his house for dinner so we would not have to face all the Xmas stuff with our "unbelieving" families.

No exchange of gifts at his house, but the atmosphere was very holiday like, and the dinner was exactly as you described. Someone else invited us for Xmas day and it was the same thing, only with lots more red and green candles, and better wine this time. Same thing at Thanksgiving time too. Not that anyone was celebrating, mind you, it’s just that turkeys are cheap then and well you know….

Is it hypocrisy? I guess you could say that but I would cut them some slack here, after all they are fighting the natural and proper desire to be with their own families and join in the fun that the rest of the planet is experiencing.

When you think about it, the Borg just sucks the life and fun out of everything, and I guess this is the way some people deal with this affront to normalness. So is it hypocrisy? Yes, but it's the type of hypocrisy that (for me), is easy to forgive, it's their humanity crying out.

Freeman

• TR
    TR

Freeman,

When you think about it, the Borg just sucks the life and fun out of everything, and I guess this is the way some people deal with this affront to normalness. So is it hypocrisy? Yes, but it's the type of hypocrisy that (for me), is easy to forgive, it's their humanity crying out.
    You are so right. I just ached to be with family on the holidays when I was a 'hovah. I didn't become a 'hovah until I was 24, so I had a history of family get togethers. I was so sad to have to give them up.

Once, about ten years ago, I decided to go for a bike ride on Thanksgiving. I was lonely that day, so some how my "bike ride" took me over to my parents house where my wife and kids and several relatives were enjoying the holiday. They welcomed me, and did not question my motives. They were just glad that I was there.

TR

I'm gonna make mince meat outta that Osama!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Great point! Great point! Thank you!

Andi

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

Did you see this post from Australia??? About how the JDub's get together on the 25th at the beach - so they don't feel like they have missed something????

. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=16859&site=3

closer

• freeman
    freeman

TR,
    I know exactly what you are saying: “I just ached to be with family on the holidays when I was a 'hovah”.

I am in the same boat, I had 21 years as a normal human, and then I was transformed into a ‘hovah’. Each and every year since my mutation, I have ached to be with my dwindling family, (many are up in years and I’ve lost some). I feel robbed, bastards!

Recently I was talking to my aunt, a very close aunt. She is now about 80 and lives with my mom. She is more like a grandmother then an aunt. We were talking and she had remarked how my nephews were flying in for the holiday and would just love to see our family, but you don’t do any holidays at all right? I have known for quite some time that I was in a cult but have never told anyone in my family, but I chose then to tell my aunt, my well-guarded secret. I told her she was right. I said, what you told me when I was 21 was dead on, there is something very wrong with this religion I joined. Tears welled up in both our eyes, as I told her I would love to see everyone over the holiday but I must keep peace with my wife. She cried oh god, and the children? I told her; well I put my foot down and my 12 year old is not being indoctrinated any more. Thank god she said. And my other boy? I’m sorry they got him and my wife too but I’m trying, I’m working every day to get them out. I have to stop here I can’t write anymore today, this is just to much for me to handle today. sorry

Freeman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit