Witnessing at a Gun Show

by Bendrr 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Ha! Made ya look! No, I didn't put on an outdated K-Mart brand suit and tie and go placing Watchtowers at a gun show.

What I did do was join a grassroots activist organization and volunteer some of my time for a cause I believe in. In a way, it was sort of like Witnessing. You have a presentation. You have literature to place, in this case flyers from GCO (http://georgiacarry.org). And you have scriptures to read, in this case Georgia law and court cases.

The only difference is that "witnessing" about the right to carry at a gun show is far easier than knocking on the door of a Baptist or Pentecostal in order to inform them that when they die they won't be going to meet Jesus in Heaven. This is more like shooting fish in a barrel. But of course there was a sign of persecution as we witnessed. The table across from us at the gun show was staffed by the BATF (Bureau of Attrocities Terrorism and Fratricide, the butchers of Waco) and one of them kept giving me the evil eye. Probably because I was wearing my pistol and he was unarmed. If they're there tomorrow, I'm going to ask if I can have my picture taken with them.

It was a lot of fun. Even if I did have to allow my poor defenseless XD to be zip-tied by the cop at the door. Georgia's 'public gathering' law considers gun shows public gatherings and therefore prohibited, but since that would make them illegal, the solution is that all firearms must be unloaded (duh!) and secured by zip-ties through the breech. If you have some time on your hands, check out an article written on the racist roots of Georgia's gun laws: http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/racist-roots-of-ga-gun-laws.pdf. Support was overwhelming. My presentation was as simple as "we need your support!" and people signed up and paid the membership right there on the spot.

Getting volunteers is another matter. My area is full of support but getting people to give a few hours of weekend time is like getting a tax cut from a Democrat. Tomorrow's schedule has me by myself from open to 10am and then no one. It looks like it will be me and the area coordinator all day.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

like getting a tax cut from a Democrat.

LOL

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Activists are always going to be on someone's list. Watch out for the InfraGard.

• betteroffdead
    betteroffdead

so are you trying to get your right to carry everywhere or just at gun shows? I'm not familiar with your states gun laws thats why I'm asking. In indiana we have some of the most liberal gun laws in the country (open carry and concealed carry) but I still can't carry hot at the gun show.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit