Freedom tastes like a good beer - let's have another. Personal update

by truthseeker 7 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

It's been six months since my fade - other than a couple of calls from the elders concerned about my meeting attendance, I have been pretty much left alone.

Freedom from the organization has given me peace of mind - I don't worry about being ignored by "the friends", I don't have to fake my hours and I don't have to rush to get to the service meeting minutes after getting home from work.

According to JW lore, I should be weeping and gnashing my teeth but I am feeling better by the day. I still believe in God, still identify with Christianity and am still looking for answers to life's questions. I don't pretend to have the answers but I have the freedom to look for them.

I went out for a hike this past weekend. It was cold but it felt good to breathe in the fresh air. The sun was shining. I felt like I was healing mentally.

I thought of my early years in the truth, the struggle to get baptized, the lack of friends, trying to fit in and make all the meetings, believing that I was never going to grow old in this system of things and at the end of it all - here I am, having spent 31 years in the organization.

Having recently watched The Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian I was reminded of the words, "everything you know is about to change"

and change it did...I feel like I'm starting my life all over again; kind of like a rebirth. Starting from scratch. Learning social skills. Making friends. It's not easy at 31.

The typical friend making years are generally at school and college - it's harder for me to meet new people and reach out, but I know I have to do it if I am to grow as a person.

Discovery is a wonderful process and for me it's just beginning.

Raise your glasses high and make a toast to freedom.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Hear, hear... a toast indeed. To freedom! And freedom of the mind and heart is the most incredible freedom there is.

Love,
    Baba.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Amen. It's been about 7 months for us and like you, just a couple of phone calls. The freedom feels absolutely wonderful!

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Great post. Find a few local groups pertaining to the things you're interested in. If you want to find local Christians, for example, look for an Alpha course.

• Borgia
    Borgia

To Freedom! Cheers Borgia

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

cheers

no mind-numbingly boring meetings. no pointless field service.

life IS good.

Snakes ()

• wings
    wings
    I still believe in God, still identify with Christianity and am still looking for answers to life's questions. I don't pretend to have the answers but I have the freedom to look for them.

ah.....to be allowed to actually believe that not every question needs an answer. To be comfortable with the mystery of life. Good post, you made me smile on the inside.

wings

• I quit!
    I quit!

I was about 31 when I bust out. Your post reminded me of peace of mind and freedom I felt when first grabbed my brain and ran for the door.

Great post

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit