restrictions

by bonnzo 8 Replies latest jw friends

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

recently i talked to an elder friend, who is used to and tolerates my liberal thinking about the "truth", about restrictions after df'ing and reproof. i asked for the scriptural reasons for such. he proceeded to hem and haw, "well they are necessary for blah, blah...." i repeated scriptural . he had none. finally the expected response: "the slave tells us to". i remarked that to comment at WT study, there are no requirements other than raise your hand. to join school there are a few like life in harmony with christian principle and agree with bible, to preach there are 10 questions to answer, to be baptized there are a bunch to answer to qualify. but if i get reinstated as a baptized person, i can immediately go in service but i cant comment. i asked him if he saw any inconsistency in that. "well, now that you put it that way, it is a valid question" i asked," if the slave told you alcohol is a df'ing offense, even tho' the bible states clearly it is not, would you go along with that just 'cause the slave tells you you can? no answer. "it would be my last meeting if they did" What do you think of the irony of the restrictions and my question?

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

Can't really answer your question but well done for getting him to think. Perhaps if he sees a couple more inconsistencies he'll wake up a bit. Though you have to be careful not to move too far too fast. Easy does it!

• penny2
    penny2

They just don't have an answer because there is no scriptural basis. Good reasoning.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Good job getting him to think!

• carla
    carla

How ironic, ex jw tells fader jw to slow down on that bible business (scripture requests) to an elder who belongs to a group who claims everything they do is bible based.

• oompa
    oompa

I like the point you told me the other day...the bible actually has a good reason in it to wecome anyone back with open arms...the prodigal son was not told "well you can come back, but you must live in the barn and cant eat with the family for awhile"

why TF would they not let you comment and other things....when these things are supposed to "build your faith"?...........................idiots.............oompa

they so love to go beyond what is written

• shamus100
    shamus100

Now that you're back in, ever consider fading?

• DJK
    DJK
    Now that you're back in, ever consider fading?

Good question.

Better question. You are apparently aware of inconsistancies and the stupid things they do, why are you there in the first place?

Nevermind, I forgot where I was headed with that.

• DJK
    DJK
    if the slave told you alcohol is a df'ing offense, even tho' the bible states clearly it is not,

The bible doesn't clearly say it is not and it doesn't clearly say that is.

It is clearly about interpetation, what you put first and what you are slave to, and that should be God. If one is addicted to something, they do as a rule put their addiction first, before their families and probably before God making them a slave to their addiction. This is the repetitive stuff I heard before I left in 74. I'm surprised that I, an Atheist, remembered it.

As for commenting at meeting's, just a stupid rule. Average attendance at my KH was about 100 and there were about 5 people who raised their hand to comment all the time. 1/20th, are you in that group of 1/20th? If not, then I wouldn't let it bother you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit