Cigarette Paper used in printing the "Green" Bible?

by Gram 4 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Gram
    Gram

I heard that the paper used in printing the green bible was cigarette paper!?!? Anyone else heard that? I heard that because the paper was "cheap" and less expensive to purchase.

• inkling
    inkling

I've heard of Bible's in prisons being USED as cigarette paper... being thin and all, and real rolling papers being contraband.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I was in charge of floor 3-6 in Brooklyn factory for 2-3 years in late 70s. We were the only ones who printed on cigarette paper. Only the super-titanium white paper, which is slow burning and used for cigarettes because of its low paper content, was used in all the Bibles, Make Sure and Aid books. It was about $500 per roll and lasted about 80 minutes on a running MAN press. Normal book and mag paper was various types of ground wood/freesheet (bleached) and was cheaper but lasted about 35 min. One MAN could easily eat a dozen rolls of groundwood in one day, but Bibles were slower due to archaic make-ready. Now they print on Bible paper for Bibles, coated for books and mags or some freesheet I believe. Randy

• avishai
    avishai

Holy smoke!!!

*sorry, couldn't resist, nothing like a gideon bible in a motel when you need papers, which leads to such silly puns*

• dinah
    dinah

If you're in prison using your bible for rolling papers, you better pick an obscure page. It would suck if someone asked you to read John 3:16 and you smoked it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit