Dr. Praises JW 'No Blood' Stance

by cameo-d 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I am sure the Watchtower will be playing this up real big in a magazine in the near future.

From Sept.2008 Life Extension Magazine:

"But it was near the end of his residency that Dr. Oz met a patient who gave him what he calls an epiphany. He wasn't prepared to have the foundation of his education turned upside down by one experience. A woman with a bleeding ulcerwas brought into the emergency room. Though she had lost a lot of blood, a transfusion and a suture would fix her problem. However the woman and her family calmly refused the blood transfusion for religious reasons, even though that transfusion could save her life. Dr. Oz whisked the woman off to the operating room, confident he could eventually get the family's permission to do the transfusion.
    The surgery went well, but the patient showed signs of organ failure due to blood loss and her blood count was at a point where she should have already died. Still certain he would be doing the transfusion, Dr. Oz was horrified when the family steadfastly refused. At this point came the epiphany. The patient's family, was in effect telling Dr. Oz that there was a deeper love, a deeper belief by which they were living their lives, and that no matter how logical it seemed that she should get the blood, they didn't want the blood.
    "The woman who was going to die that evening hung out for another day, and she finally went home," Dr. Oz says. "And she never did get that blood. And although I would never recommend, in the future, for someone not to get the blood, it was to me a very revealing experience, because I began to recognize that as dogmatic as I thought I could be with my knowledge base, there were certain elements of the healing process I could not capture. And even if I was right in the science, I could be wrong in the spirit."

The experience caused Dr. Oz to conclude that there was more to medicine and healing patients than his training had taught him. He began to investigate other methods of healing , and that led him to non-Western medical practices.....blah blah

Also here's another big toot for Dr. Oz and the JW's from public radio.

As director of the Cardiovascular Institute at Columbia University Medical Center, Mehmet Oz has innovated tools and techniques, including the use of robotics that are revolutionizing the field of cardiac surgery.

But Mehmet Oz calls it global medicine. And he has a good vantage point from which to consider the convergence of old and new, East and West. He is impeccably credentialed in the best Western schools of medical science. He grew up spending summers and holidays in the native Turkey of his parents. His father's family was devoutly Muslim from a region known as the Qur'an Belt near the birthplace of Sufi mysticism and the Whirling Dervishes. His mother's affluent family came from the more secular, urban culture of Istanbul. Mehmet Oz went into medicine, he says, in part to better understand himself.

Actually, there's a story that is in Healing from the Heart about a Jehovah's Witness.

The following is an excerpt from the radio program. It is more articulate than what was printed in Life Extention Magazine.

And there was a Jehovah's Witness who was brought into the emergency room, having a bleeding ulcer, and a problem that we actually do a pretty good job dealing with these days.

But she was a smallish woman. And by the time she'd come to see us, she had lost almost all of her blood. So the solution is pretty obvious. You rush her to the operating room, fix the bleeding ulcer by putting a suture in it. But you have to give her blood in order to have something to carry the oxygen around the body to keep her going. And the family, when I came in to talk to her, said that they didn't think she'd want the blood. And I said, 'Well, that's good and all. But, you know, you realize we're not kidding around here. She's going to die if she doesn't get this blood.'

So I rushed her off to the operating room. And after having given the patient's family and her a pep talk about the fact that we needed to get the blood into her, and she had become unconscious by now. So while she was off there, I made this last plea to the family. And I said, 'I'm going to do this surgery. And I'll be back to get your permission. You need to sign these forms, so I can give the blood.' So I went off and did the operation. By now, her blood count, hematocrit, was about four, which, by the way, healthy animals start dying at a blood count of nine. She was at four and she should already have died. And she was already having evidence of her heart and other organs failing because they didn't have enough blood in them.
    So I came out to get the permission from the family. And I was horrified to find that they were unanimous in their decision not to do this. They were condemning their mother and grandmother to death. I was flabbergasted. And only then did I really have the epiphany. They weren't telling me that they didn't believe me. They weren't telling me that they didn't love their grandmother or mother. What they're telling me is there was a deeper love, a deeper belief that transcended what I was telling them by which they were living their lives. And that no matter how logical it seemed that they should get the blood, they didn't want the blood.
    Well, of course, as the story turns out, the woman who was going to die that evening hung out for another day, and then another day, and then another day, and she finally went home. And she never did get that blood. And although I would never recommend in the future for someone not to get the blood, it was, to me, a very revealing experience. Because I began to recognize that, as dogmatic as I thought I could be with my knowledge base, there were certain elements of the healing process I could not capture. And even if I was right in the science, I could be wrong in the spirit.
    Ms. Tippett So did her recovery really defy what you had been learning all those years in medical school?

Dr. Oz: Her recovery made no sense at all. And I don't want to get into the issue of why she recovered because there's so many hypotheses you could offer for that. But without any question, she was the first in a long series of patients. Because, you know, once you realize this is happening around you, you start paying attention a little differently.

http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/programs/heartandsoul/transcript.shtml

Oz is vice chair of surgery and professor of cardiac surgery at Columbia University, and founded the Integrative Medicine program at New York-Presbyterian Hospital and Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center. He is the author of the book Healing From the Heart.

Maybe you all might like to send him a fan letter of sorts.???

• Gregor
    Gregor

This is old hat. The Watchtower Publishing Co. is always ready to gamble with other peoples lives. There is a large volume of JW blood cases that come up all the time. If they die they die. But on the occasions someone pulls through it is touted by them as proof they are correct. Total deception and manipulation!! It is like playing Russian roulette in reverse, one chamber is empty, the other five are loaded. How immoral that many of these decisions are made by family members, not the victim themselves, as in the case of infants. In other words, you have to take a cup of Kool Aid and drink it or give it to a loved one to drink and in some cases it doesn't contain quite enough poison to kill you and you survive. Praise Jah in all his wisdom!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d
    This is old hat.

The article was just published in Sept. 2008

The radio broadcast was Aug. 30, 2008

I didn't know it would be stale news so soon.

Has WT printed it already?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Although the dubs might refer to this, they already have plenty of stories and quotes from other bloodless surgeons. It appears to me that Dr. Oz doesn't "praise" the JW 'no blood' stance, he simply acknowledges that humans can be stubborn in their faith and that humans can survive very low blood counts.

Of course the article could be used to prove that even Muslims will respect JW beliefs without forcing blood... and without becoming JWs themselves.

It would truly be something if the JW was treated in a Catholic or Methodist hospital.

B the X

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Old hat meaning the WTS. have used these unusual circumstances in the past to support themselves on their no blood policy.

And of course if the poor girl didn't pull through you wouldn't hear a peep out them.

What ever bullshit comes out of their mouths you can guaranteed its going to be self supporting propaganda.

Don't ever expect to hear about the millions of lives saved from the medical procedure of administering a blood transfusion since the practice started some 50 years ago.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Yes, Cameo, by "old hat" I was referring to the situation, not this particular case.

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=8AdofQ2-HPUC

Healing from the Heart: A Leading Surgeon Combines Eastern and Western Traditions to Create the Medicine of the Future By Mehmet Oz, Ron Arias, Lisa Oz Contributor Dean Ornish Published by Plume, 1999 ISBN 0452279550, 9780452279551 224 pages can preview/read the original on google

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Healing from the Heart: A Leading Surgeon Combines Eastern and Western Traditions to Create the Medicine of the Future By Mehmet Oz, Ron Arias, Lisa Oz Contributor Dean Ornish Published by Plume, 1999 ISBN 0452279550, 9780452279551 224 pages

The WT may not be too keen on quoting this guy, given his support of "Eastern Traditions" which they usually view as demonic. Of course, they may still quote him and fail to correctly reference the source, as is their wont. A side note: "Western Tradition" = Real medicine that actually works "Eastern Tradition" = Any old woo-woo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit