Basic JW beliefs

by happy1975 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• happy1975
    happy1975

I may have an opportunity to discuss why I no longer attend meetings with an old friend that I ran into the other day. She is very zealous - a pioneer for many years. I've printed some newspaper articles that refer to the child abuse scandal. She has a daughter so I think that this might touch her.

The other thing that might get her thinking are some of the major JW teachings/beliefs that cannot be supported by JUST the bible.

Can anyone think of some good ones that I could use?

Thanks!

Happy

• sacolton
    sacolton

That's a tough nut to crack. Trying to get a Pioneer to actually think on their own? You don't become a Pioneer overnight by being a independent thinker.

Hardline doctrines? Hmmm ...

Ask her to explain how the JWs arrive at 1914 using JUST THE BIBLE.

Using JUST THE BIBLE, prove 607 BCE as the fall of Jeruselum.

What proof is there to suggest that Jesus approved the organization in 1919 using JUST THE BIBLE.

Prepare for scripture jumping and using it out of context.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Ask her, using the bible, to show how blood transfusions are not acceptable, but blood fractions and organ transplants are acceptable....

• wobble
    wobble

According to the Bible who is the Mediator between God and men? (WTS says FDS)

If a group claims to speak for God,how does the Bible say we should judge their claim (If their words don't come true they don't speak for God,1925 1975 etc. etc.)

Love

Wobble

• sacolton
    sacolton

A list of false prophecies ...

http://www.bible.ca/Jw-Prophecy.htm

How many times do you have to make a false prophecy before you're considered a false prophet? Just ONE TIME!

Tough questions for a Jehovah's Witness:

http://www.bible.ca/jw-questions.htm

Good luck! They will defend the organization ... that's their first allegence.

• wobble
    wobble

I just thought of another good question for a pioneer,it may be covered in Sac's links, but ask "As you carry out Jesus command to make disciples,why don't you baptise,as he commanded in the same verse ,in the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit?"

(Since 1985 all JW,s were Baptised into the organisation.See the vows)

Love

Wobble

• happy1975
    happy1975

Thank you all so much for your replies. I'm going to research everything and see how far I get with her.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I can't remember which thread or poster presented this:

Is the belief that Jesus was raised a spirit creature clearly and consistently presented in the bible?

Is the belief that Jesus would return invisibly clearly and consistently presented in the bible?

Is it clearly and consistently presented in the bible that Jesus was out of existence for three days?

Is the belief that people are re-created from nonexistence clearly and consistently presented in the bible?

Is the belief that blood transfusions break God's law clearly and consistently presented in the bible?

Is the belief that only 144,000 people can be in the new covenant clearly and consistently presented in the bible?

Is the belief that only the 144,000 go to heaven clearly and consistently presented in the bible?

Is the belief that only the 144,000 people can partake of the bread and wine clearly and consistently presented in the bible?

Is the belief that the Old Testaments saints will not go to heaven clearly and consistently presented in the bible?

Is the belief that identifying an organization is essential for salvation clearly and consistently presented in the bible?

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

How come the JW do not pray through Michael?

NO! just enjoy your time with her and avoid doctrine at all cost. Sometimes it is better to let people go home in peace.

But if you must!

Hebrew 1: 8 But with reference to the Son: “God is your throne forever and ever, and [the] scepter of your kingdom is the scepter of uprightness

Jehovah reference the Son as God!

I dont think any JW can get around that one becuae they are too focused on the scepter. Hmm, and I am not too sure it that is a future Jesus who stand with a scepter or Michael. Right now they claim Jesus is sitting on the right hand of his father and he has not stood up yet.

Have fun! you probably will not have coffee with her again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit