UN knows WTB&TS very well.

by kpax 3 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• kpax
    kpax

I took this of http://www.unhchr.ch/huridocda/huridoca.nsf/2848af408d01ec0ac1256609004e770b/b3a68ec4f3620b48802567a7005758da
    There is a lot more to read.

On 28 January 1992, the Government of Cuba sent its comments regarding the above-mentioned communication transmitted to it by the Special Rapporteur:

"First of all, I wish to inform you that in Cuba no individual or groups of individuals are persecuted or harassed for professing the religious belief of their choice, that religion is practised freely in our country and that religious texts are accessible to those who desire them. Even at this time, when Cuba is experiencing a special situation in which the effects of the economic, financial and trade blockade imposed on the country are worsening, the main religious publications, such as the Bible, have been imported and may be obtained at a reasonable price. Any previous situation arising out of incomprehension or restrictions has been completely overcome.

In Cuba, there are 41 congregations of the Catholic religion and 51 institutions or associations of Protestant congregations. In other words, any religious association or association that fulfils the requirements laid down in the existing Act on the Registration of Associations may operate and is highly respected and supported as such. However, the religious sect of 'Jehovah's Witnesses', mentioned in your communication, has never submitted an application for registration since it does not fulfil the requirements established for recognition and has therefore not acquired that status.

In our country this religious sect is an unlawful association, whose members are known for their anti-social behaviour and who, in many cases, even engage in incitement to break the law and in the desecration of patriotic emblems, since they regard themselves as foreigners in their own country. In cases involving the above-mentioned criminal behaviour, as occurred in some of the cases mentioned in your communication, the following articles of the current Penal Code are applied: article 207, paragraph 1 (Incitement to break the law); article 208 (Unlawful associations, meetings and demonstrations); article 210 (Possession of illegal printed matter).

On the other hand, the right of citizens to practise the religion of their choice and to worship without any limitations other than respect for public order and the law, as established in article 54 of the Constitution, is fully respected.

I should also like to refer to our note of 1 October 1990, in reply to your note G/SO 214 (56-4) of 25 July 1990 in which the legal and social protection extended to religions and religious beliefs is explained in detail.

As you are aware, to question the implementation of the legal provisions in force in any State implies interference in its internal affairs; such an act is incompatible with international law and its rules.

As may be seen, the allegations contained in the cases concerning which we were asked for information appear to form part of the campaign which is being conducted against Cuba, using the issue of human rights tendentiously and for political ends.

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

Thanks for posting this. It made a good <B>overmycoffie</B> in the morning read.

I like all this government stuff. Yumm.

• sf
    sf

< http://www.stetson.edu/~psteeves/relnews/9904a.html

And Norm, if you're reading this...

the download failed for whatever reasons. Thanks anyway.

sKally

• sf
    sf

Here is what I am unable to open:

Digest October 1997
    ... Mme. Ogata, the United Nations High Commissioner for ... free travel to the United States,
    although American ... James M. McCabe, Judah Schroeder, Dr. Laila Al ...
    http://www.csce.gov/pdf/october97.pdf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit