The UN Requirements and how the WTS measured up

by sunscapes 6 Replies latest jw friends

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

http://www.globalpolicy.org/ngos/ngo-un/info/res-1296.htm

The link above points to the Economic and Social Council's Resolution with regards as to Consultative Relations. Excerpts follow, afterward my comments:

1. The organization shall be concerned with matters falling within the competence of the Economic and Social Council with respect to international economic, social, cultural, educational, health, scientific, technological and related matters and to questions of human rights.

2. The aims and purposes of the organization shall be in conformity with the spirit, purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations.

This is the zinger that is the crux of the whole UN/WTS issue. Note the expression "SHALL" be in conformity...not really an option...

3. The organization shall undertake to support the work of the United Nations and to promote knowledge of its principles and activities, in accordance with its own aims and purposes and the nature and scope of its competence and activities.

Support the work of the 'beast'...? and to PROMOTE KNOWLEDGE OF ITS PRINCIPLES and activities...yeah, only if you agree with them!

4. The organization shall be of representative character and of recognized international standing; it shall represent a substantial proportion, and express the views of major sections, of the population or of the organized persons within the particular field of its competence, covering, where possible, a substantial number of countries in different regions of the world. Where there exist a number of organizations with similar objectives, interests and basic views in a given field, they shall, for the purposes of consultation with the Council, form a joint committee or other body authorized to carry on such consultation for the group as a whole. It is understood that when a minority opinion develops on a particular point within such a committee, it shall be presented along with the opinion of the majority.

5. The organization shall have an established headquarters, with an executive officer. It shall have a democratically adopted constitution, a copy of which shall be deposited with the Secretary-General of the United Nations, and which shall provide for the determination of policy by a conference, congress or other representative body, and for an executive organ responsible to the policy-making body.

Theocratically appointed, yes! Democratically adopted constitution? Not a chance.

6. The organization shall have authority to speak for its members through its authorized representatives. Evidence of this authority shall be presented, if requested.

We're the Faithful and Discreet Slave.
    If you need evidence, see above.

7. Subject to paragraph 9 below, the organization shall be international in its structure, with members who exercise voting rights in relation to the policies or action of the international organization. Any international organization which is not established by intergovernmental agreement shall be considered as a non-governmental organization for the purpose of these arrangements, including organizations which accept members designated by governmental authorities, provided that such membership does not interfere with the free expression of views of the organization.

Voting rights? I wish. The last time a straw poll was conducted was at the last CO's visit where all sheepishly authorized reimbursement for his expenses for the week. I wish I could have voted "on the policies or action" of the international organization when they form "judicial" inquisitions. Right.

8. The basic resources of the international organization shall be derived in the main part from contributions of the national affiliates or other components or from individual members. Where voluntary contributions have been received, their amounts and donors shall be faithfully revealed to the Council Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations. Where, however, the above criterion is not fulfilled and an organization is financed from other sources, it must explain to the satisfaction of the Committee its reasons for not meeting the requirements laid down in this paragraph. Any financial contribution or other support, direct or indirect, from a Government to the international organization shall be openly declared to the Committee through the Secretary-General and fully recorded in the financial and other records of the organization and shall be devoted to purposes in accordance with the aims of the United Nations.

When was the last time the Society provided a comprehensive list of the 'voluntary' cash donors and amounts? What was their explanation for not doing so that 'satisfied' the Council Committee?

Now these were in the 1968 resolution. Did they change greatly later? Not really, except for some adjustments to allow for a broader diversity of the NGOs that held expertise in key fields, and to allow for more regional groups. The link to 1996 revision:

http://www.globalpolicy.org/ngos/docs96/e1996-31.htm

12. The organization shall have a representative structure and possess appropriate mechanisms of accountability to its members, who shall exercise effective control over its policies and actions through the exercise of voting rights or other appropriate democratic and transparent decision-making processes. Any such organization that is not established by a governmental entity or intergovernmental agreement shall be considered a non-governmental organization for the purpose of these arrangements, including organizations that accept members designated by governmental authorities, provided that such membership does not interfere with the free expression of views of the organization.

Well, that speaks for itself. Democratic and transparent decision-making processes? Voting rights? Accountability? Not a chance. You have theocratic, opaque autocratic dictatorial decision-making processes. If only the Committee had known the true nature of the WTS application sitting on their desks, I'm sure they would have some hard questions to ask. I feel like Ray Franz, who eventually discovered that HE had to be accountable to conscientiously discontinue his asscociation with the WTS.

When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers ... we are ripping the foundations of justice from beneath future generations.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

great post!
    Set me thinking about this UN thing for the first time.
    Theres some slippery dealing here alright, one wonders what more we dont know yet.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

But if one cares to scroll down the entire list of NGOs, one might wonder who actually lives up to these requirements. In which for example Moslem groups is there democracy, in which of the different -jamalla-allah-jalla-galla organizations is there respect for human rigts etc. So the wide gap between reality and requirements makes this whole thing one large joke.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi Old Hippie,

So I guess the old bromide about two (or more) wrongs not making one right applies here with especial force. AS as for the ``big joke,'' I guess it's on all of us naive dubs who imagined our Big Mamma to be chaste, pure and virginal, especially with respect to Satan's most formidable contrivances.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Actually old hippie a lot of the NGOs themselves do, a lot of countries do and the UN organization itself does.

If you bother to read the guidelines that NGOs must follow (either with conusltative status, or "association" status or other types of status) there are major penalities if NGOs do not perform their work while being a "partner" with the UN.

Of couse they have to be caught first if they are manipulating the system. The UN and its members do not look favourably on groups who manipulate the system - why do you think the DPI started an investigation into the WTS and then why did the WTS suddenly quit? If it was such a big joke, DPI would never have investigated.

If you want to read the actual entire "original" Resolutions, I got Zev to post them on his site. If you can't read the writing,just move the mouse coursor onto the image, right click the mouse and save it to your harddrive. Then open the image in a graphics or word processing software.

If you like I can post them here? Just ask and I will. Of course you can read copies on the internet too.

hawk

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

Despite the rantings of certain old hippies, there is ample evidence that the Watchtower Society was indeed living up to her responsibility to support the beast:

(All quotes from UN-DPI brochure, here: http://www.un.org/MoreInfo/ngolink/brochure.htm)

For the past ten years, the wts has devoted a portion of their publications to the UN, "[disseminating] information about the UN to their membership, thereby building knowledge of and support for the Organization at the grassroots level."

They have "[publicized] UN activities around the world on such issues as peace and security, economic and social development, human rights, humanitarian affairs and international law"; they have "[promoted] UN observances and international years established by the General Assembly to focus world attention on important issues facing humanity."

The Society even lived up to their responsibility to "keep the DPI/NGO Section abreast of their activities by regularly providing samples of their information materials relating to the work of the UN", as this link shows: http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/materials/articles.htm (note the second item in the list).

Since the leaders of this sham religion have professed ignorance of these responsibilities, one is left wondering just how these articles made it into the magazines in the first place, and even more so, just how it is that these articles were submitted to the UN!

I find it humorous that old hippies defense of the Watchtower Society (a.k.a. "the truth") amounts to, 'everyone else lied to the UN, so its ok that we did too'. Hey Hippie, read 1 John 2:21:

"I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth."

TS,

Did the Watchtower Society "support" the scarlet beast of Revelation?
    : http://www.geocities.com/watchtowersociety/beast.htm

• ISP
    ISP

The WTS did 'support' the UN in its publications...at the same time it condemned it! Au Contraire! I suspect it was an example of theocratic...lies! The WTS is unlikely to admit its error until the whole issue has died down and most people that would have rememberred, will have died.

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit