Child witches in Africa

by Caedes 2 Replies latest social current

• Caedes
    Caedes

I watched (with a growing sense of anger and disgust) a program on TV last night (dispatches - http://www.channel4.com/news/dispatches/ ) on the problem of children being accused of witchcraft in the Niger Delta. These kids (even babies) are usually tortured, beaten and denied food until they "confess" If they are lucky they may be just abandoned, unlucky ones are buried alive.

The parents can purchase an exorcism quoted as being roughly a years wages, this seemed to entail further abuse of the victims.

An interview with a woman responsible for promoting this belief ended with the woman claiming the interviewer just didn't understand spiritual matters.

All done in the name of Jesus christ of course, the area has a very high proportion of evangelical christian churches.

• oompa
    oompa

geeze it never ends...boston wasnt it....if they float they are a witch....if they sink and drown...they were not?.....pathetic......oompa

• HB
    HB

I watched the programme with tears running down my face.

The problem has only become big since 2000 when a "Christian" prophetess released a film which was widely distributed which claimed that nothing in life happens by chance and if for example, your crop fails or someone dies, it means that the youngest child in the family has been possessed and must be cast out. The prophetess was interviewed and asked where in the bible it says this but she just became very angry and defesive.

Hundreds of children are affected. I could not bear to look when the physical injuries that the so called "witch-children" received from their own families and communities were shown. Some had been burnt, buried alive, attacked with a machete, had bones broken which had not been treated for six months or had acid poured on them and worse. In addition to the physical abuse, the psychological scars of being rejected at such a young age for something you have not done and don't understand must be very hard if not impossible to heal. One child was only 3 month old.

It was disgusting that even when parents had sold all they had to pay for an 'exorcism', the money was not returned if the bishop or prophetess said the treatment had not worked and then the child still had to be cast out or killed. The 'cure' could involve groups of children being locked in a prison in the church for six months and subjected to horrific treatment including sexual abuse.

The young man who has set up a refuge to help these children deserves international recognition. No one had ever heard of him until this programme was broadcast; he should be more famous than all the celebrities and sports stars, but sadly that's not the way the world works. With up to ten physically and psychologically abused children a week arriving and needing shelter, he is fighting a losing battle, but is doing wonderful work.

He took a group of children to the Government building to stage a protest and after having to wait four hours in the heat, the state governor finally agreed to meet them and took their petition. I may be over-cynical but it made me feel that it was only because a TV crew were there that the Governor agreed to sign the bill of rights for children. But sadly since then, not one adult has been arrested for abuse and the problem is ongoing.

As Caedes said, this child abuse is done in the name of Christianity. It's sick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit