JWs and grasping at straws

by target 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• target
    target

I had a phone call from a die hard JW friend from back in Wisconsin. I had told her recently about the UN thing. She just knew there had to be some logical explanation. The CO is there this week and she told him about it. He said he had not heard anything about it and that there is no way that the WTS would do that. It is probably one of these of organizations who uses Jehovah's name and we just misunderstand.
    This friend is not on the internet. I had e-mailed the information to another sister in that congregation but she is gone to Florida right now. When she got the e-mail, she asked an elder and he said it is just apostate lies.
    So I told this friend to call the other sister's husband (who stopped going to meetings years ago when he had his fill of the elders) and have him print it out for her so she can show it to the CO this week.
    She ended the conversation by telling me that Satan is after me and I better be careful not to stumble my son and daughter-in-law. (They left the borg several months ago, too)
    This sister has a disfellowshipped daughter who is a single mother struggling to make it on her own. They are careful not to "associate" with her when they see the baby. When the daughter needed a car, her father had a piece of crap car that should have went to the junkyard and he SOLD it to her for $500, which she had to borrow. He said that if she were "in the Truth" he could have given it to her. Can't help her out otherwise. I had such a strong urge to smack her upside the head. They didn't attend their first daughter's wedding because the JW she was marrying was not baptized. The second daughter married a JW who abused her terribly and she divorced him and eventually married a really nice non JW. They did not go to that wedding either. It was not proper to marry out of the Truth. These people have ripped their family apart with this JW nonsense but they are sure they are doing the right thing. What idiots!!!

Target

• ItsJustMe
    ItsJustMe

Unfortunately, most of us in the US have to wait for something to appear in a newspaper before we can share this information with any other witnesses. If they knew our source was the wicked internet, they would discount anything we said.

Anyone I have casually mentioned it to by saying that someone at work mentioned it to me has basically laughed at it and said the same thing the CO did - that there is no way the society could be involved with the UN.

I was hoping something would have been said at the elders training meeting.

---------------

• target
    target

ItsJustMe:

Newspaper articles do have an impact. Many years ago back in Wisconsin there was an article in the MIlwaukee paper, complete with picture, about an apostate. His story stayed with me and was the seeds of doubt for me. It seemed that back in the 60s homosexuality was not grounds for divorce. This guy found out that his wife was having a lesbian affair. He divorced her. He was disfellowshipped for it. Many years went by and the "new light" said that now homosexuality is grounds for divorce after all. He had spent years being shunned for something that was no longer wrong. I couldn't see how that could have been from Jehovah. What is right is right. It doesn't change back and forth. Sex is sex no matter who it is with. I never forgot that article.
    I sure wish we would get a real good one about the UN thing in the Sunday paper. That they would sit up and take notice of. But then they would start rationalizing and making excuses. Some people are just determined to be idiots!

Target

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Please refer to my currently ignored "Letter-Editor-Signatory" thread.

Are you someone that could send this to newspapers under your true id?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Target,

People have to be emotionally ready, or they won't be able to receive truthful, realistic information about the WT Society. You were ready when you read that article in the Milwaukee newspaper.

Unfortunately, your die-hard JW friend (or maybe acquaintance, now) is not and may never be ready. There really is no way to break through the "shield of armor" they've built around themselves -- which is deny, deny, deny anything could ever be wrong with the organization.

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• ItsJustMe
    ItsJustMe

I haven't ignored your thread MadApostate...I'm just not in a position to respond to it.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Gopher is right---

and MA, I can't help you either. We all may have to just wait for dateline---hundreds of convicted child molesters knocking on people's doors will probably raise a ruckus even WE might not be prepared for!!!

BITE ME, WATCHTOWER!!!

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

I never got a response from the newspapers I emailed. I was too chicken to call, heehee.

I talked to my mother about it. She said at first it was probably not true then I told her they were actually listed on the UN site as an NGO. I had to explain to her three times that it WAS the official UN site and that I had read an article about it online at a REAL newspaper site. She was disturbed by it, but was felt it was a mistake by an imperfect human back at headquarters.

I left it at that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit