symbolism, intention (and linguistics?)

by halcyon 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• halcyon
    halcyon

Something I've been pondering .... this will ramble, sorry ....

The symbolism that we put on things. I sorta got really SICK of all the symbolism attached to everything in JW. You know what I mean if you've been in. The appearances of everything. The double meanings of everything. But mostly I started pondering, at first, words and swear words.

We attach symbolism to sounds. So, for instance, "dame" is okay, but "damn" is not. "Dam" is fine, though. What if I inadvertently swear in another language? Well, apparently it's not the making of the sound that is the problem, it's the intention behind it. SO, because of the symbolism we attach to sounds, and our intention, we can have sanctions put against us. "NO MORE 'PRIVILEGES'!"

The symbolism of action and intention. A doctor can touch a woman's breast, but a suitor cannot. The action is the same, but the intention is what causes the problem.

So I got to thinking, what if you intentionally strip something of its symbolism? If I get called a racial slur, but refuse to accept the symbolism of the sound, then I've removed all power it has over me. If someone commits an action that may offend me (short of physically harming me, of course), and I refuse to accept the symbolism or the intention, then I have removed a source of negativity from my life. Someone flips me the finger, I can keep skipping along and humming my song. Strip them of the power! (I've put this into action, btw, and have gained a much greater sense of peace in my life.)

This thought grew into pondering why God would hold our human system of symbolism against us. We as a society have attached meaning to actions, and now God judges us for the meanings we have put on things? He wouldn't have cared if I said "sh!t" if it meant "my dear child", but he cares if I make the sound because it means "poop"? (Which he doesn't seem to mind THAT word!) And 300 years ago, that "S" word was just the name you gave to manure. So now God cares today about the word, but he didn't care 300 years ago?

Which then begs the question, why does he care about other actions and intentions? Why does he care so much about our private thoughts? Why will we be "saved" or "destroyed" for our thoughts? If I think "the FDS is God's representative on earth" then I will be saved, but if I think "the FDS is NOT God's representative on earth" I will be destroyed?

It just seems so random, and so utterly human.

Thoughts, anyone?

• snowbird
    snowbird

We are humans. Humans are messed up.

Seriously, I think that is why Jesus of Nazareth only left two - two! - commandments.

If we follow those two, imo, none of the other stuff really matters.

Sylvia

• caliber
    caliber

I agree with Snowbird about keeping it simple ! There is 2 other rules you're all heard... goes something like this if I remember right...... (1) don't sweat the small stuff (2) it's all small stuff check back to rule number 1 The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitude. -- WILLIAM JAMES

• Slappy
    Slappy

Dead on!

I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. Romans 14:14

slappy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit