An objective observers reaction to a Meeting

by DoomVoyager 1 Replies latest jw friends

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

The two forums I post on are this and http://forums.somethingawful.com

Recently a thread was started about "godspotting". It is a hobby wherein non-believers attend a variety of church services, simply out of curiousity or an interest in sociology. Most "godspotters" are atheist or agnostic.

One of the aforementioned "godspotters" attended a couple of meetings. To my knowledge he had no previous experience with JWs and is not affiliated with any religious organization. Here are his thoughts:

I've been to a JW service or two. Long story.

They have the most boring services imaginable. They last for two hours and it's mostly like being at school, except instead of learning about science and history you're learning minutae regarding their interpretation of the Bible, and how to most effectively convince others that said interpretation represents objective reality. There's no mysticism, no ritual, nothing in any way interesting. Their speakers are rotating members of the church, so none of them are professional and they sound like community college professors delivering uninspiring lectures.

To my consternation, they never explain in any of their services the real nuances of the Bible. Like how you could take seriously a passage that suggests that a man could be so blind drunk that he didn't recognize his own daughters - but was still able to get it up and impregnate both of them. No, really .

They're a Seventh Day Adventist offshoot, so I imagine that's how the Adventists are too...

Here is the thread
    http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2993989

Thought it merited crossposting.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I am glad someone does this. Most folks are afraid to walk in for fear of being love bombed, indoctrinated, then excrement-communicated......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit