Airport Security is a Joke

by leavingwt 7 Replies latest social current

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

In the article linked below, Jeffrey Goldberg gives the painful details of how our airport security is nothing but a sham, "security theater", as he calls it. He lists the many items he was able to get through security, undetected.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200811/airport-security

In my opinion, the only real security improvement since 9/11 is the mandatory hardened cockpit doors. The random security screening and the forced removing of shoes just make flying a little more dreadful, in my opinion.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

When I fly, I fly out of LAX.

I go through security and clear with never a problem.

Returning from Boise, Vegas, Reno, Honolulu, and JFK - with nothing added to my carry-ons - I got stopped everytime to check on something that needed to be looked at more closely. All these items cleared LAX with no inquiry. It scared me to think who else passed LAX with questionable items.

The first item that I got through LAX was really scary. It was a pocket knife that was tucked into pocket of my backpack. Los Angeles did not catch it - and had forgotten that it was in there. It wasn't caught until the return flight.

So I have to agree. It is a bit of a joke.

-Denise.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

and the political correctness of doing scans on Nuns is plain silly

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

In the article linked below, Jeffrey Goldberg gives the painful details of how our airport security is nothing but a sham, "security theater", as he calls it. He lists the many items he was able to get through security, undetected.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200811/airport-security

In my opinion, the only real security improvement since 9/11 is the mandatory hardened cockpit doors. The random security screening and the forced removing of shoes just make flying a little more dreadful, in my opinion.

You are very correct. A few months ago, I flew to Atlanta with a very vicious knife in my carry on luggage. I did not realize it was in there. Total accident.

I flew to Atlanta without incident. I ended up leaving the knife in Atlanta so as not to risk getting in trouble on the way home.

BTS

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

My name is on the no fly list. I have never been denied from flying, but I have had several ticket agents shuffle around with "computer problems" they needed to talk to a manager about. Eventually one told me outright my name was on the list. I already knew it as 60 minutes did a segment about people with my name having that problem.

So, the approach to finding a needle in a haystack is to toss more hay on the stack. Swell.

Bonus points: If you can figure out my name, PM me.

• sir82
    sir82
    If you can figure out my name, PM me.

Osama bin Laden?

• Satanus
    Satanus

John bin laden?

S

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    kurtbethel wrote: Bonus points: If you can figure out my name, PM me.

I just sent pm.

Did I guess correctly? What do I win??

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit