If you aren't Lutheran, you won't get to heaven

by Judith 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Judith
    Judith

Just had a conversation with a friend who is going to pre-marriage classes at her soon to be husband's Lutheran church. She (a methodist) says that she is causing quite an uproar because she keeps asking questions and the minister told her off at her last class. She questioned his statement that a person cannot understand the bible properly unless they are Lutheran. When she questioned that, he angrily told her that only Lutherans go to heaven. And he added that she better listen and take these instructions to heart because it meant her very life. Hmmmmmm. Sound familiar? Seems that most religions think they are the only ones going to heaven. Too bad that they are fighting over something that doesn't exist except in the imagination of humans.

• Seeker
    Seeker

I have an image of a cool God (or Goddess) who provides the best afterlife for those who lived and let lived, and a much less desirable place for all those who insisted that only they spoke for this God (or Goddess).

• FideiDefensor
    FideiDefensor

Being a Lutheran, I have no idea what that pastor was talking about. I have never heard any pastor or anyone else within the Lutheran church that I attend say you had to be Lutheran to be saved. As a matter of fact, communion is 'open' as long as you recognized Jesus as your saviour. You don't have to be Lutheran to partake. Could it have been a misunderstanding?

• Judith
    Judith

FideiDefensor.

It could have been a misunderstanding or - a difference in that particular pastor? Have you been a Lutheran for a long time? Did you have to take any classes before becoming Lutheran? If not, maybe that is what is said in the classes and not from the pulpit.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Oh Lordy.....

ashi

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Being Lutheran also depends on which synod the particular church is affiliated with. From my experience the Missouri Synod is a bit strict on it ideas about the true Church. There is the Wisconsin synod and the ELCA Lutheran Church as well. The ELCA recently voted to affiliate with the Episcopal Church and the Episcopal Church is very open to other belief systems and branches of Christianity.

Thirdson (A closet Liberal Quaker according to one test)

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• FideiDefensor
    FideiDefensor

Judith:

I've been Lutheran (ELCA) for about 20 years. And yes, you do have to go through a new members class to join the church. But that is only for voting membership and nothing else. Even a Lutheran bishop would have to go through the class if he wanted to join our congregation as a member. But this class has nothing to do with your salvation. You are not viewed any less if you don't join the church. Just can't vote on local congregational issues (new church furnace, new pastor, etc.)Our congregation came close to pulling out of the ELCA this year because of the liberal trend within the synod. I think we will pull out in a few years.
    Frankly, it could have been frustration on the pastors part. He might have felt your friend was being argumentive and uncooperative. An LDS missionary once called me a pig. Since your friend is Methodist I'm not sure what kind of disagreements she could have had with Lutheran teaching since it isn't that different from Methodist.

• myMichelle
    myMichelle

Weird, wonder if it is a different synod or the peculiarities of that pastor. I was raised in a Lutheran church, the one that is now ELCA. Never in my life have I heard the viewpoint your friend heard.

I have attended Methodist (which synod I don't know) and Lutheran (ELCA) services and except for the signage outside I can't think of any glaring differences.

The viewpoint I have heard in the Lutheran church is that there are many roads to Christ and many good people in other religions, a viewpoint that is echoed on the ELCA's website. The ELCA shares (oh, what is the teminology??) communion with other denominations, as Thirdson pointed out.

And one nice thing about the Lutheran church is you can join another denomination or leave the church altogether without any reprocussions.

Hope this helps,
    Michelle

The most deadly of all sins is the mutilation of a child's spirit. -Erik H. Erikson

• Judith
    Judith

Thank you to all that replied. I will pass this info on to my friend and hope that it helps her.

• kes152
    kes152

Our Lord Jesus wasn't Lutheran, he was a "Christ." I supposed he's not going to heaven either, huh?

Peace,
    Aaron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit